Recommend satellite card witn no problems hybernate\resume. Fed up with Skystar2 BSOD (2 Viewers)

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
October 22, 2009
Eupen
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi Zorg, if you have just 1 cable coming down from your diseqc Switch, then you Need only a single TV Card. What would you do with the second port, if there is nothing to connect to?!
With this single Card, you can still record/view 2 different channels at the same time IF they are on the same Transponder on the same satellite.
For your Setup you Need only a Card which suppurt diseqc 1.0 because you have no more than 4 positions/lnb's
If you plan to Change your diseqc Switch from 4/1 to 4/2 an put a second cable from the roof, then you will be able to use a dual-port Card.
In These case, I really could recommend the TBS 6981. A good Card with no Problems at all.

Last edited:

Zorg

Portal Pro
June 12, 2008
Home Country
Spain Spain
Thank you.
I knew I had no idea about this thing of cables and disecq. In spite of that, it would be great if I could do the change from 4/1 to 4/2 myself. The last technician who fixed something in the dishes ripped me off.

If I'm not wrong it must be easy:
I buy a disecq 4/2, I put in it two cables, one from the 5.0ºW Eutelsat 5, and the other from the dish that has one monoblock directed to two different satellites, and finally I take out from the disecq two cables and connect them to the two ports of the dual DVB-S2 Card.

But still I have the doubt of if I could tune at the same time channels of the two different satellites (13.0ºE EUTELSAT Hotbird and 19.2ºE Astra) that are taken by the monoblock placed in just one dish.
Probably the answer is not.
Then would the only solution be getting rid of the monoblock, buy a third dish and a dual and a single DVB-S card, to have three ports?

Sorry if I ask silly things, but now that I'm about to finish with the nightmare of the Skystar card, I would like also to fix this limitation. At home we argue oft about tuning at the same time channels of this two satellites that depend on the monoblock placed in one dish.

Could I keep this monoblock system and tune different channels from the two satellites with a dual card?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    But still I have the doubt of if I could tune at the same time channels of the two different satellites (13.0ºE EUTELSAT Hotbird and 19.2ºE Astra) that are taken by the monoblock placed in just one dish.
    To have two satellites and two tuners that independently watch whatever channel you like you need either:
    1. A multiswitch.
    2. LNB for each satellite with multiple STB outputs, then one DiSEqC switch for each tuner.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Zorg, I should also warn you that the Blackgold DiSEqC does not work in MP right now. It will be supported in TVE 3.5.

Zorg

Portal Pro
    June 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    To have two satellites and two tuners that independently watch whatever channel you like you need either:
    1. A multiswitch.
    2. LNB for each satellite with multiple STB outputs, then one DiSEqC switch for each tuner.
    Thank you. Then if I make these changes I could by the dual TBS 6981 that Django.edwards recommends and that I guess it does work in MP.

If I understood well I'll have to buy two LNBs and put them in the same dish replacing the monoblock. Then I'll have to use either a multisiwtch or two DiSEqC switch (I don't know which possibility is better).

Then if I want also to use at the same time the third satellite (5.0ºW Eutelsat) that depends of a second dish, I should connect this one to a different card. A single DVB-S2 card would be enough for this one. Is that correct?

Last edited:

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2009
    Eupen
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi Zorg, lets take a look at you first dish, as it seems that this is your Primary source for viewing TV.

if you would like to see different channels from Hotbird/Astra at the same time, then the Limitation of your existing System is the monoblock. As your monoblock has 2 Outputs, you can tune 2 different Transponders at the same time: 2* Astra or 2*Hotbird or 1*Astra and 1*Hotbird. If you want to tune to more than 2 Transponders at the same time, you have to Change the monoblock to p.ex. a 4 port monoblock. Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/5574-XO-64-Mo...&qid=1371885069&sr=8-1&keywords=lnb+monoblock

With your existing dual monoblock you Need to bring down your 2 cables to your sat-card to have the possibility to tune to 2 different Transponders. If you like more, than you have to Change the monoblock to a 4 port-monoblock and bring down These 4 cables to your Card.

So you see, it depends on how much channels you would like to tune at the same time and how much cables you are able to bring down to your sat-card.

A diseqc-switch is always a compromis if you have not the possibility to bring down more cables to your tuner.

In your existing Scenario, if you have the possibility to bring down 3 cables to your pc, then I would do it. So 2 from your monoblock and the one from the other dish. You no longer Need the diseqc switch
    You can Keep your existing Card for the Eutelsat and buy a dual-port Card for the Hotbird/Astra.
    With this Scenario you will be able to tune to one Transponder on Eutelsat and, at the same time, 2 Transponders of Astra and/or Hotbird.

If you don't have this possibility, then you should go with the 4/2 diseqc (which is a dual 2/1 Switch) like this one: http://www.incrediblefta.com/item/247/1/1/emp-centauri-4x2-diseqc-switch.html

So tell us what you want and we can help you to go further.

Zorg

Portal Pro
    June 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.
    I think the easiest thing for me to do is getting rid of my disecq and bringing down 3 cables directly to my pc, then I'll connect two of them to the ports of a dual card, like the TBS 6981, that seems a good option, and the third cable to a single one, maybe the skystar I already have, although as it fails now and then (and that was the initial reason for this post) I should buy another single DVB-S2.

Zorg

Portal Pro
    June 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi again,
    Sorry if I'm asking again for help.
    I'm about to buy the dual TBS 6981, to get rid of the hibernation/ resume problems and also to have the possibility to record or see from two different satellites at the same time.

But I've seen in the forum that there's people who seems to have problems with this card after resuming PC:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/no-signal-after-resume-from-s3.115664/#post-955197

Does the TBS 6981 work without hibernation/resume issues?

Thank you very much in advance.

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2009
    Eupen
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    As I already said, I have no Problems a all since 2 years. You will always find People which have Problems with the same Hardware. It depends on many factors, like Mainboard, OS, Harddisk etc.

gurabli

Portal Pro
    July 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hi! I wonder if you managed to find a good working DVB-S2 card that has no problems or whatsoever with MP? I'm about to buy a DVB-S2 card, and I almost bought SkyStar 2 Express HD PCIe, but I saw that many users have serious problems with these cards, or at least with previous models. I think the standby bug is present on this cards as well?

Now I'm looking at the TBS6922 card, but it doesn't have a power connector and I'm not sure that it will be able to drive the motor using the DiSEqC, as it will not get enough power from the PCIe slot. Any ideas?

I do not need a TWIN or more tuner, single is enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom