Recommendations for PSU and Standby (1 Viewer)

spytek_98

Portal Member
January 20, 2006
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been done to death... but about 3 years ago I started out messing around with MediaPortal and MCE... just at a proof of concept level... one thing at the time that bugged me was that I couldn't get use the remote to come out of standby S3... after that I lost interest... anyway... after 3 years i thought i would give it another go and actually start to build my first true HTPC... :)

So recommendations... one thing that I want to get right is S3 (Standby) using the remote... so what special h/w is required? Is it just a compliant PSU (if so, which ones/types) or does the MB (if so, which ones/type) have something to do with it and/or do I need to get a special usb remote (if so, which ones/types) for the job?

FYI.. My form factor case can take a standard ATX PSU.

Thanks for any help guys!

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ... so what special h/w is required? Is it just a compliant PSU (if so, which ones/types) or does the MB (if so, which ones/type) have something to do with it and/or do I need to get a special usb remote

Yes, it is all 3 ...

You need a PSU that supplies +5v Standby (most of the ATX PSUs with a 24 pin connector, made in the last 3+ years should have the +5v Standby output).

You need a motherboard that supplies +5v SB to at least one of the USB ports - this is the USB port that will connect to the IR receiver and keep it "alive" while the PC is in Standby mode. I think that most motherboards made in the last 3+ years have this feature.

And you need an IR receiver that listens for the "Resume" command and wakes the PC. The Microsoft MCE remote receiver does this perfectly.

HTH ....

kingnubian

Portal Pro
    March 18, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The PSU requirements for the typicel HTPC are not that drastic, except if you als wish to game seriously on it. Focus on three things, quality, silence & the +5v standby which was mentioned in this thread. If your HTPC is like many others, left on all the time, your PS choice is even more important.

Generally modern psu's have the features you want but how to choose. I'd like to make some recommendations.

Seasonic Models are very well known for their design, reliability & quietness. The S12II-380 comes to mind
    Seasonic S12II-380 Power Supply | silentpcreview.com

Enermax also is a name I can also recommend. Their Modu82+ 625W unit is an excellent PS & very quiet as well. It has the extra "juice" if your HTPC turns out to ba used for gaming as well and it is a modular unit. When I upgrade my HTPC setup I'll probably go for this one.
    Modu82+ 625 Power Supply: Enermax to the Forefront | silentpcreview.com

I'm sure others may recommend different units but do some reading on your own. silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers is an excellent source to start with.

P.S. Remember to get a quality Power Bar/Surge Protector/ Batter Backup for your HTPC. APC products come to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom