Recommended TV Cards (1 Viewer)

MightyPolo

Portal Pro
October 24, 2007
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Hauppauge T500 has better reception.

Channel changes once TV started (5-6 secs to start live TV) are around 1-2 secs with my setup, could be slower if low powered graphics, as potential delay while screen redrawn.
Hi i have geForce 7300 PCIE Graphics Card.

But the problem may be also caused by not so strong signal here, my set top box (technisat) shows signal strenght almost full, but quality differs from 20-60 (of i asume 80 points - i dont see any logic in this grade:))

So Hauppauge 500 is better, it costs around 100Euro, is it worth of price?
I asume that TV Server will handle the dual tunner so ill be able to record and in the same time whatch different channels.

MightyPolo

Portal Pro
October 24, 2007
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Hi, Pinacle was around 45Euro. I've done just brief search through the internet on Hauppauge maybe i can get it on other place cheaper.

P.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Generally the pinnacle is more expensive here, than the hauppauge, may just be a supply and demand thing.

vur

Portal Pro
    January 18, 2008
    Home Country
    GLOBALDON KEY AND DALESKI.
    Why not get another DTV1000T (or a DTV1000S). I use one of each with MediaPortal and they work perfectly with HD and SD. Not only that, they are both about a cheap as they come. If only I had a spare PC slot --- I'd get a third! They are slow though. To avoid loss of signal, make sure you daisy-chain the antenna connections rather than use splitters.

jwp_online

September 26, 2007
    DNTV Live! Dual Hybrid PCI-E S3 Problems

Has anyone installed the latest DNTV Live! Dual Hybrid PCI-E card yet?

I have recently purchased the new S3 version and installed it with MP 0.2.3.0, however, when I run Setup, MediaPortal cannot see the new video card and responds with the ‘No video capture card(s) found’ error.

I know the card works because the native application that came with the card, ‘Hyper Media Center’, works fine with all local area stations tuning in ok.

jwp_online

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Yes, I actually just purchased one of the new DNTV cards (because I was mucking and broke the centre pin on the coax connector on my original DNTV card), and it is running fine under MP 1.0 RC2.

I did have some TV Server database corruption issues when I installed though, but that's because I removed the original DNTV card a couple of months ago, put my old Divico card back in as a stop gap measure (which again caused nothing but problems even with the latest drivers), then pulled that out and put the new DNTV card in when it finally arrived. MP doesn't really handle card removal all that well as far as I can see. Leaves a few loose ends in the database, and maybe I didn't follow the right procedure for removing the cards. By this time, I had to blow my TV Server database away because things were really screwed up, and I could not configure the new card (even though it was detected), but once I did that, all was good and have not looked back again.

You really should get onto RC2. It's pretty solid. I assume you're still running the old internal MP TV Engine under 0.2.3? I think one of the big improvements with TV Server was the card detection process.....

GLOBALDONKEY AND DALESKI.
    Why not get another DTV1000T (or a DTV1000S). I use one of each with MediaPortal and they work perfectly with HD and SD. Not only that, they are both about a cheap as they come. If only I had a spare PC slot --- I'd get a third! They are slow though. To avoid loss of signal, make sure you daisy-chain the antenna connections rather than use splitters.

Vur,

I think you answered your own question there. I was looking for a Dual Tuner card, so I could get simultaneous recording / viewing in a system with only 2 PCI and 1 PCIe slot. 2 x DVT1000T's is about the same price as 1 x DNTV. And you get an analogue tuner in the DNTV to boot (not that I use that). It's all about that valuable PCI / PCIe real estate ;)

jwp_online

September 26, 2007
    globaldonkey

Thanks for the feedback. I was going to eventually upgrade to TV-Server version of MP, however it looks like I will need to do it sooner than I planned.

Having said that I might still try the graphedit utility to try and update the CaptureCardDefinitions.xml file to recognise the S3 card. Even if a miracle occurs and this works I will still update to TV-server as you suggested.

One question: With the TV-server install, is there any special requirements during the install to get the card to work in addition to the dvdfix patch (for Win XP - SP2), Mediaplayer 11, and the usual hotfixes?

regards,
    jwp_online

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    No, just the usual hotfixes, as per the requirements section in the Wiki.

Lucky_JL

Portal Member
    July 16, 2007
    Hi,

After read a lot of threads in this forum and anothers ones aroud the internet, i am very very confused ! :(

I will build a HTPC with AMD 780 ( probably new KI780G Mini-ITX ) and some AMD CPU ( maybe 4850e or maybe some of the new 3250e, ), and the software basis will be of course MediaPortal

But i need some PVR card that support dual tunner, both analogic and digital sources, encode/decode by hardware, can fit in a PCIe X16 (4lane), and the most importante thing, be 100% supported by MediaPortal!

Any suggestions ?

Anothe thing ... i will have a box from tv company that receives the signal ( basically their pvr black-box solution that i don't like ), so the connections bet tv company box and my HPTC will be made by SCART»RCA/S-VIDEO ... there is another way i can connect a SCART or HDMI output from their box to the input of my TV Card ?

Thanks in advance,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom