Record as .m2ts (instead of .ts or .mpeg) (1 Viewer)

periodpuddle

Portal Member
September 25, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
You may not realise it but you already do support PS3, unless you live in New Zealand or Norway.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    You may not realise it but you already do support PS3, unless you live in New Zealand or Norway.

Its different to support something on a purpose and by "accident". Like with .mpeg files we are supporting VLC, WMP, Winamp...

At least I dont know any feature that would be directly build to support PS3.

periodpuddle

Portal Member
    September 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Actually .m2ts doesn't seem to work either. Anyone know how I can get the recordings to work on my ps3 with sound?

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    periodpuddle
    There's probably tons of tools out there to convert to your heart's content.
    I would help, but all I have experience with is MKV files.
    You should probably ask a PS3 forum or something like that.

Why are you trying to play your files to PS3 anyway? I built an HTPC specifically because I was tired of trying to get videos to work on the 360 or PS3.

periodpuddle

Portal Member
    September 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you for your answer sjeffrey.

I am specifically looking for an all in one command line option, for example the command would look like "convert file1.ts ac3". Do you know of any?

The reason why I am trying to play my files on the PS3 is A) I have a PS3 .B) The computer I record on is not even close to being powerful enough to play the recordings .C) My TV has only one HDMI port .D) An HTPC would cost in excess of $1000.00

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    One thing I have learned in the past is that such a thing is not easy.
    Unfortunately I was using Linux at the time. Have a look at MP4Box, I know there's a Windows version. Also I hear megui is quite good.
    You might want to go with MP4 files as they play both on PS3 and 360. Most of the time you won't have to re-encode the video, but you might have to re-encode the audio due to some constraints on the PS3 and 360 (no high-level 5.1 profile, only 4.1)

The reality is it took me weeks to start getting somewhat comfortable with converting videos, so it's really hard to explain all you need to know in 1 post.
    On the flip side, there seems to be a much bigger variety of tools for Windows and they are much more user friendly.
    Have a look at videohelp.com and afterdawn.com
    They both have many resources to help with what you want to achieve.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom