Record or not to Record is the Question (1 Viewer)

Cam

Portal Pro
February 28, 2012
Georgia
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Been messing with database importing in the TV server.
Looks like their has to be a xml file for the import. So do I have to create a xml for all 32,382 files, place them in the record folder, then import?

Can a database entry be removed if need be?

Thanks[DOUBLEPOST=1450450735][/DOUBLEPOST]The remove invalid entries will remove the entries that are not in the recording folder (xml files).
Those will have to stay in the fold to match the database.o_O

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looks like their has to be a xml file for the import. So do I have to create a xml for all 32,382 files, place them in the record folder, then import?
    In short: yes.
    ...but if you originally recorded the 32k files with TV Server then you'd already have XML files, unless you unwisely choose to delete them when you do your processing.
    Note that if you want to import files from outside the recording folder, you can temporarily change the recording folder, do the import, then change it back.

Can a database entry be removed if need be?
    Yes, just delete the recording through MP, or delete the file then use the remove invalid recordings function (which is also available in the MP GUI - I think called "clean up").

The remove invalid entries will remove the entries that are not in the recording folder (xml files).
    Those will have to stay in the fold to match the database.o_O
    I did try to explain that moving the files means you'll have to reimport them. Like I said: even if you don't do a "remove...", TV Server will re-record shows when the file is not in the place the database says it should be.
    ...but the solution is relatively easy: keep the XML files and use them to help you reimport the recordings after your processing is done.

Cam

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2012
    Georgia
    Home Country
    What is the best way to recreate the xml files?[DOUBLEPOST=1450463763][/DOUBLEPOST]Yes the original xml files are gone.
    I better ask can the xml be recreated?
    Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I better ask can the xml be recreated?
    Yes, they can... though usually with difficulty. XML files are just structured text files (ie. can be opened in any text editor or internet browser). The difficult bit in recreating them is to populate the recording metadata - title, description, start/end date/times, season/episode details etc.

What is the best way to recreate the xml files?
    Write a script/program to do it. If you're not able to do this then it probably isn't practical for such a large set of files.

Cam

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2012
    Georgia
    Home Country
    If the xml files are gone, but they were imported in the database, they will stay in the database until the remove invalid is executed, Right?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If the xml files are gone, but they were imported in the database, they will stay in the database until the remove invalid is executed, Right?
    Yes, in theory... though if I recall correctly, up until around MP 1.7.1 invalid recordings were automatically removed from the database on entering the recordings section in MediaPortal.

Cam

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2012
    Georgia
    Home Country
    Apparently I am doing something wrong.
    I have noticed that sometimes it will skip a recording, but mostly records whatever is listed in the schedule.
    I have all the xml files in the record folder, they have been imported into the database.
    The ts files have been removed for editing and placement on the file server in a different location or burned to Blu ray.
    I attached some screen shots of TV server settings and the log files.:)

Thanks

Attachments

• Recording 1.jpg
      Recording 1.jpg
      105.9 KB
    • Recording 2.jpg
      Recording 2.jpg
      131.5 KB
    • Recording 3.jpg
      Recording 3.jpg
      108.7 KB
    • Recording 4.jpg
      Recording 4.jpg
      107 KB
    • Recording 5.jpg
      Recording 5.jpg
      93.9 KB
    • Recording 6.jpg
      Recording 6.jpg
      130.1 KB

Cam

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2012
    Georgia
    Home Country
    Ok, I got TvWishList up and running, question Do you still need the schedule in Tv server also?

Thanks

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do you still need the schedule in Tv server also?
    You can set up TVWishList in such way that it will automatically schedule its hits as planned recordings in the TVServer. So it depends on your choice.

I have noticed that sometimes it will skip a recording, but mostly records whatever is listed in the schedule.
    Chck out the recordings settings in TVServer. There is an option to avoide "duplicate recordings". If this option is ticked then TVServer will deliberately skip scheduled recordings if it already recorded the show in the past and the file still exists in its database. "Same" would mean that the respective title (and/or episode name) is the same. Title/episode information is retrieved from EPG, hence you will depend on its data quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom