Record or not to Record is the Question (1 Viewer)

Cam

Portal Pro
February 28, 2012
Georgia
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I do a lot of recording from tv, mediaportal is by far the best out there for media centers.

I would like to see MP have a (editable) database for what has been recorded, so that if it shows up in the tv guide to be recorded, it would know not to record it. Right now I use excel with TVDB.com and Returndates.com to manage what has been recorded. It renames it to match TVDB.com in order to match in mediaportal series.

On average I have scheduled about 700 shows over the 2 week Tv guide period. I will have maybe 20 new shows.
They are scheduled for every time on this channel, weekly,........on and on.

Is there something like this already? or can be done

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Cam

I would like to see MP have a (editable) database for what has been recorded, so that if it shows up in the tv guide to be recorded, it would know not to record it.
    I'm not sure that I really follow what you're saying. How would being able to edit the contents of the recording table in the database help TV Server know not to record?

Note: TV Server already has the ability to skip recordings if it determines that the program has already been recorded. This function relies on your guide data source providing episode names and/or numbers.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...V-Server_Configuration/07_Recording#Scheduler

Right now I use excel with TVDB.com and Returndates.com to manage what has been recorded. It renames it to match TVDB.com in order to match in mediaportal series.
    When you say "it renames...", what is the "it" you're referring to?
    Note that if you're renaming and/or moving files without updating the TV Server database then TV Server will not skip recordings even if using the previously mentioned settings. The recording must exist in the place TV Server expects it to be, else TV Server will re-record.

Is there something like this already? or can be done
    As I said above, what you're trying to do isn't exactly clear (at least to me).
    Beyond what I said above, you might consider looking at the TvWishList plugin.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How on earth can you watch that much recorded TV?
    That's his point. From those 700 only 20 are new and he would like to be able to only record new ones. As mm1352000 already pointed out, MP is capable of recognizing what it already recorded in the past, provided that recorded shows had in the meantime not been moved away into different directories, e.g. series or movies. The recognition works very well for anything that exists in the recording path but is currently not capable of "kwowing" what might exist in other diectories.

With respect to the database management: There is no "one" database. Instead every plugin has its own separate database where it stpores informaiton about the content that it manages. This is legacy from the development history of MP1. Again, as already suggested by mm TVWishList might be something to look at. If I remember correctly it is able to reference standard plugins like TVSeries and MovingPictures, but I am not 100% certain.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That's his point. From those 700 only 20 are new and he would like to be able to only record new ones.
    I suspect that the original poster wants what WMC can do today. It is all dependent on each and every programme having a unique identifier. The Microsoft internet EPG does have this, as does the broadcast EPG in the UK. The problem is that MP currently does not use this information.

For series, WMC performs the following trick: it remembers the ids of episodes that it has recorded, and avoids recording duplicates. But it also does this for episodes that have been recorded, viewed, and deleted. In other words, WMC remembers the programme ids of recordings that no longer exist in any of the libraries.

One deficiency in WMC is that it does not use the programme id to avoid recording duplicates of one-off programmes (i.e. programmes which are not part of a series). This is a capability that should be supported too -- inform the user that the programme was recorded in the past, and ask whether it should be recorded again (which the user might want to do).

Remembering the programme id of every programme that has ever been recorded will result in the database growing indefinitely, so there would also need to be some clean-up dialogue to allow the user to request deletion of all programme ids older than a user-specifiable number of years.

Simples! So when can we have this implemented? :whistle:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Cam

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2012
    Georgia
    Home Country
    All this is: Please, maybe it can be added to MP in the future if you guy agree...
    I may be asking too much.:eek:

TV Server should look at a database before recording, If it sees Series name and Episode name in this database it should skip that episode or (not record it).
    What I mean by Editable database is, I have several episodes already recorded and would like to add all that have been recorded to the database so that it does not record again. If a episode that has been recorded is of poor quality then I can remove that episode from the database and it will record the next time it comes up in the tv schedule.

The Excel thing is not important, I use it to rename recording the match TVDB.com so MP matches correctly.

I do move the recordings, just because space on the recording drive (1TB), I then strip all commercials and put the edited recording on another drive for viewing pleasure at a later time.

I will try TvWishList plugin again, I didn't dig too deep before it seemed complicated at the time.
    I know, one man's simple is another man nightmare.:)

As far as me watching all this, I have 5 kids and 2 grand kids, they are lots of cartoons!

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    TV Server should look at a database before recording, If it sees Series name and Episode name in this database it should skip that episode or (not record it).
    Well that's just the thing which I was trying to explain: TV Server can already do this.
    Probably the reason why it isn't working is one or more of the following:
    1. You haven't enabled/configured the setting.
    2. Your guide data doesn't contain episode names/number fields.
    3. You have moved earlier recordings without re-importing them (as previously mentioned, TV Server will re-record if it can't find the file - this is because it assumes the recording failed).

What I mean by Editable database is, I have several episodes already recorded and would like to add all that have been recorded to the database so that it does not record again.
    You can do that by creating a corresponding XML file containing all the episode information, then importing the episode as shown here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...er_Configuration/07_Recording#Database_import

I do move the recordings, just because space on the recording drive (1TB), I then strip all commercials and put the edited recording on another drive for viewing pleasure at a later time.
    So as above: if you were using TV Server's existing duplicate recording skip functions then you'd need to re-import the recording after processing and moving it.

Cam

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2012
    Georgia
    Home Country
    I will post the excel program if you want to look at it.[DOUBLEPOST=1450307647][/DOUBLEPOST]I give it a try!

Thanks

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    What can we do with single movies? Perhaps we can display an icon in tv guide if we recorded a movie with same name. Of course we need to filter some genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom