Recorded TV Thumbnails - Automatic Generate on Server side ?

Discussion in 'General Support' started by sorrowuk, April 15, 2012.

1. sorrowuk

sorrowuk Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm running a client , server mp install.

I'm currently using 1.22 and about to upgrade to 1.23 but I'm sure problem will remain.

At the moment I do not have any thumbnails for my recorded tv programmes.

On a client when i connect to the tv server and go to recorded tv there is no thumbnails just blank boxes. I am using streamed mp.

Also when I browse the recorded tv directory I don't see any thumbnails in the folder next to the .ts files. Should they be there ?

Am I able to have the server automatically generate thumbnails for the recorded tv programmes it records and then have the client read this thumbnail from that folder where the .ts file is.

Thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. milhouse

milhouse Portal Pro

R&D IS for a seed company
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    Personally, I created a batch file with this text:
    Code (Text):
    1. mtn.exe -i -t -r 1 -c 1 -B 360 -o .jpg -P -O "C:\MPShared\thumbs\tv\Recorded" "E:\recordings" "F:\recordings"
    and stored it in the movie thumbnailer directory. I honestly can't remember if mtn is part of the TV Server install or if I added it. I've got it in C:\Program Files(x86)\Team Mediaportal\Mediaportal Tv Server\Movie Thumbnailer\ so I assume it was part of the install, but not sure.

That runs the thumbnailer, and saves the thumbs into a directory that is shared to all MP clients (C:\MPShared\thumbs\tv\Recorded). I've got two different recordings directories (E:\recordings and F:\recordings) but it can take however many directories you need. This batch file is then run through scheduled tasks every 30 minutes at x:03 and x:33 right after recordings are generally stopped.

4. elliottmc
    • Premium Supporter

elliottmc Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +5,503 / 13
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Short answer - no! If you run MediaPortal on your server, you will see the thumbnails. This is because the MediaPortal application in this case has access to the directory where the thumbnails are stored.

MediaPortal running on a networked client connects in a different way, so it can't access the thumbnails. I have asked the developers about this one many times, and I am told that this is almost impossible to fix.

5. sorrowuk

sorrowuk Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The other problem is that mtn.exe doesn't seem to work with hd channels, Im using DVB-S2 . like bbc one hd, channel 4 hd etc.

It can't decode the video, is there much that can be done

6. elliottmc
    • Premium Supporter

elliottmc Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +5,503 / 13
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    It works fine on DVB-T2 HD channels here.

7. sorrowuk

sorrowuk Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It seems to work, but it won't work for channel 4 hd :confused:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!