Recorded TV Thumbnails - Automatic Generate on Server side ? (1 Viewer)

sorrowuk

Portal Pro
July 3, 2010
I'm running a client , server mp install.

I'm currently using 1.22 and about to upgrade to 1.23 but I'm sure problem will remain.

At the moment I do not have any thumbnails for my recorded tv programmes.

On a client when i connect to the tv server and go to recorded tv there is no thumbnails just blank boxes. I am using streamed mp.

Also when I browse the recorded tv directory I don't see any thumbnails in the folder next to the .ts files. Should they be there ?

Am I able to have the server automatically generate thumbnails for the recorded tv programmes it records and then have the client read this thumbnail from that folder where the .ts file is.

Thanks

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Personally, I created a batch file with this text:
Code:
mtn.exe -i -t -r 1 -c 1 -B 360 -o .jpg -P -O "C:\MPShared\thumbs\tv\Recorded" "E:\recordings" "F:\recordings"
and stored it in the movie thumbnailer directory. I honestly can't remember if mtn is part of the TV Server install or if I added it. I've got it in C:\Program Files(x86)\Team Mediaportal\Mediaportal Tv Server\Movie Thumbnailer\ so I assume it was part of the install, but not sure.

That runs the thumbnailer, and saves the thumbs into a directory that is shared to all MP clients (C:\MPShared\thumbs\tv\Recorded). I've got two different recordings directories (E:\recordings and F:\recordings) but it can take however many directories you need. This batch file is then run through scheduled tasks every 30 minutes at x:03 and x:33 right after recordings are generally stopped.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Am I able to have the server automatically generate thumbnails for the recorded tv programmes it records and then have the client read this thumbnail from that folder where the .ts file is.

Short answer - no! If you run MediaPortal on your server, you will see the thumbnails. This is because the MediaPortal application in this case has access to the directory where the thumbnails are stored.

MediaPortal running on a networked client connects in a different way, so it can't access the thumbnails. I have asked the developers about this one many times, and I am told that this is almost impossible to fix.

sorrowuk

Portal Pro
    July 3, 2010
    The other problem is that mtn.exe doesn't seem to work with hd channels, Im using DVB-S2 . like bbc one hd, channel 4 hd etc.

It can't decode the video, is there much that can be done

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The other problem is that mtn.exe doesn't seem to work with hd channels, Im using DVB-S2 . like bbc one hd, channel 4 hd etc.

It can't decode the video, is there much that can be done

It works fine on DVB-T2 HD channels here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom