2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PDVD 7.3
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Nvidia purevideo - audio. Default directshow renderer.
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: OrigenAE s16v
Cooling: Stock case and cpu fans
Power Supply: corsair hx520
Remote: phillips rc197 irtrans case builtin
TV: Pioneer kuro 50" lx50A
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi folks - I have a strange issue with recorded tv.

The recordings work fine, this is not a problem. But in some cases, when I go to watch a recorded program the cpu leaps up to 100% usage, and the whole thing chokes. This happens before I actually click on the program to watch.

After a bit of investigation, I have found that ffdshow video configuration is runaway - this is what is doing this, the icon is in the taskbar. (I can see this if I don't run MP in full screen).

So it's very strange - I do NOT have ffdshow selected as the mpeg2 video filter in any part of mediaportal - not in tv, dvd, or my video's, and this fires up and goes haywire _before_ I actually select the recorded video to watch. It also doesn't happen for every recording - just certain ones.

So does anyone know why this would be starting up, and what I can do to fix it?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    But in some cases, when I go to watch a recorded program the cpu leaps up to 100% usage, and the whole thing chokes. This happens before I actually click on the program to watch.
    Are you saying that the CPU hits 100% when you are in the "Recorded TV" GUI, but before you have even selected a recording to watch?

If that is correct, why is ffdshow active? Is the TV still playing?

BTW, your avitar is hilarious

coopers

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2005
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    Why thankyou. :)
    I can't take credit for the avatar though, I just leeched it off someone else (not on here).

Yep, that's what I'm saying... although I might actually be stupid enough to have this wrong, so it might be occurring when I go to play the thing.

It's truly bizzare, considering that ffdshow should not even play this file - recorded tv uses the "movies" settings to determine codecs, right? In fact, nothing in my system should be using ffdshow - I have it all set to nvidia purevideo.

I might just try uninstalling purevideo and reinstalling it, so that ffdshow is "lower down" in the weird land of windows codec priorities. Maybe that will help.

Another symptom - if I exit out of "recorded tv" and go back in again and try to play this file multiple times (keep in mind this takes forever, as the runaway ffdshow video process is hogging the cpu) then I get multiple ffdshows opened up in the systray until we grind to a halt.

Is there some sort of "video preview" feature that it's maybe trying to initiate?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Usually if FFDShow launches, its the audio one not the video (ac3).

Have you any kind of postproccessing setup within MP config.

Was FFDShow part of a preconfigured codec pack, not the one from Sourceforge

coopers

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2005
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    The audio one is not on actually. :) Audio seems to be doing the right thing by executing through the nvidia audio driver.

It's definately a download from sourceforge - one of the latest ffdshow builds.

Is the internal MP postprocessing done through ffdshow?

I have changed all my settings to the cyberlink decoder - and now this does not happen. So I'm thinking that for some reason (some wierd setting?) ffdshow is trying to run with purevideo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom