Recording conflict, but enough tuners? (1 Viewer)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I have a setup with 3 tuners(500MCE,150MCE), with all channels assigned to all tuners.

Im trying to set up recording:
    22:25-00:10 on channel A
    22:00-22:55 on channel B
    23:25-23:55 on channel B

This schedule should only require 2 tuners, but if i attempt to set it up the first recording is marked with a ! and is listed as a conflict. However if i remove the third recording and instead do:

22:25-00:10 on channel A
    22:00-22:55 on channel B
    22:35-00:35 on channel C

With that setup i get no conflicts, even though it would seem to require more tuners(3).

I also have a related question:
    I have MP set up to record 5 min pre, and 15 min post of each program, if i schedule a program from 0:00-1:00, and one from 1:00-2:00 will this require 2 tuners, or only 1 as would seem sufficient as the same content should just be stored in 2 different files during the switch over.

I am using a CVS build from today,btw.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ziphnor said:
    I have MP set up to record 5 min pre, and 15 min post of each program, if i schedule a program from 0:00-1:00, and one from 1:00-2:00 will this require 2 tuners, or only 1 as would seem sufficient as the same content should just be stored in 2 different files during the switch over.
    It will require 2 tuners as the first program has to record until 1:15 and the second program has to commence recording at 00:55. Even if both programs are on the same channel, MP will still require 2 tuners - which has been my practical experience with this scenario.

The reason that I set a 5 minute start offset and a 15 minute end offset is to allow for the program not starting and ending at the published times, so it makes sense that MP would respect those offset times and thus require 2 tuners.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Taipan said:
    ziphnor said:
    The reason that I set a 5 minute start offset and a 15 minute end offset is to allow for the program not starting and ending at the published times, so it makes sense that MP would respect those offset times and thus require 2 tuners.

Im not sure i understand you, in the overlapping period the same content is going to be recorded on the 2 tuners, so why not just use one tuner and duplicate the data to both recorded files? That would still respect the offset times, but only use one tuner.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ziphnor said:
    in the overlapping period the same content is going to be recorded on the 2 tuners, so why not just use one tuner and duplicate the data to both recorded files?
    Agreed, this would be true if both programs are on the same channel. But, if the two programs are on different channels, then 2 tuners would be required.

However, it appears that MediaPortal assumes that a channel change is always required (even when it is not required) and won't allow back-to-back recordings on a single card. That's been my experience, but I agree that your proposal makes more sense.... :)

Maybe this is a bug in the recording logic.... :?

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Taipan said:
    However, it appears that MediaPortal assumes that a channel change is always required (even when it is not required) and won't allow back-to-back recordings on a single card. That's been my experience, but I agree that your proposal makes more sense.... :)

I can see how the current recording logic can occur when you are programming the scheduler, its probably much simpler to have one tuner per recording, but i do hope they will fix it a some point.

However, while its nice to know this for another time, this issue is not what led to my recording conflict above, since even if there WERE overlap between the 2 channel B recordings, then i still have the necessary 3 tuners, i would still like to figure out what caused that problem.

ebk71

Portal Member
    May 16, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Make sure you have set the priority of the cards. That was my problem with my 500MCE. In this case prio 1 to 3. And I also make sure 1 tuner is only for recording.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    ebk71 said:
    Make sure you have set the priority of the cards. That was my problem with my 500MCE. In this case prio 1 to 3. And I also make sure 1 tuner is only for recording.

i did set prority but why should one card be set to record only?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom