Recording Confusion (1 Viewer)

speedway

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
Riverstone, NSW
Home Country
Howdy all

I will start with a plea to please be gentle.

I have come across from MythTV and have never used any of the various Windows PVR solutions. I suspect what is confusing to me is second nature to you guys that have.

Anyway, I am totally confused about recording schedules etc. I am used to Myth doing things totally differently. Don't get me wrong, I like MP and am staying with MP, I just need to *master* the system and make it do the things I want it to do. This is especially true in my wife's case, she is currently cursing me for installing MP and wants me to go back to "the old way of doing things"...

When a recordings starts (is no longer scheduled) it was put into the recorded programs area where I could watch it at any time. Am I to understand that I cannot get MP to put shows that are currently being recorded, into the recorded TV list? I ask because of my next statement.

I have a number of shows scheduled to record at the same time every week. I also have a few one offs and others anytime they appear on a certain channel. The confusion begins when I go into Scheduled shows I see a whole bunch of folders that contain the upcoming episodes. There seems to be no way to put *every* upcoming show in date/time order *without* the folders. I would much rather just see everything line by line at the date/time it is coming up. This is especially true if, like tonight, I have a one off show to record. When I went into Scheduled I had to go looking for it so I could watch it as it did not appear on any of the first 3 screens due to all the episode folders. Can I turn this off anywhere?

Is there any documentation on how to *use* MP? There, from what I can find, is quite a bit on installing and configuring but not much on the actual day-to-day use. Again, not a criticism, just an observation.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Especially if it saves my bacon with my wife....:mad:

Cheers
Bruce

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
When a recordings starts (is no longer scheduled) it was put into the recorded programs area where I could watch it at any time. Am I to understand that I cannot get MP to put shows that are currently being recorded, into the recorded TV list? I ask because of my next statement.
Oh, man this is so true!
All of my friend, me included complain about this. It makes things less orderly and it's harder to see what's going on at the moment.

The confusion begins when I go into Scheduled shows I see a whole bunch of folders that contain the upcoming episodes. There seems to be no way to put *every* upcoming show in date/time order *without* the folders. I would much rather just see everything line by line at the date/time it is coming up. This is especially true if, like tonight, I have a one off show to record. When I went into Scheduled I had to go looking for it so I could watch it as it did not appear on any of the first 3 screens due to all the episode folders. Can I turn this off anywhere?
Again, so true! It's just impossible to see in one view what is planned for recording because of these folders! And I haven't found a way to turn these off, that would be really, really great!

Is there any documentation on how to *use* MP? There, from what I can find, is quite a bit on installing and configuring but not much on the actual day-to-day use. Again, not a criticism, just an observation.
Configuring takes a while, but as you learn more and more about the possibilities of a PVR, this is actually a really good thing! :) On the other hand, users like your wife, my girlfriend and about every MP-users' girl :p this is hard to master. For example, I love all the recording options; my girl want just to be able to record, thats it. so one button for recording and it starts recording, nothing more, nothing less. But for me this would be a showstopper!

So it's better to really learn the ins and outs of MP so you can show your wife in a quick way what she has to know and noting more, as MP is not always that intuitive, like you pointed out in this thread.
Tutorials, demo-movies, etc can be found on this website, but it's not structured at all. Unfortunately there is not a good structure present on the site to find your way through it. It took me months to find all the pages and info I was looking for (this is really a point for improvement guys) and still I find workarounds, hints and tips everywhere that should be easily available to everybody in an orderly fashion.

For example the general info says the preferred codec for MPEG2 is the Purevideo codec. But the Purevideo codec gives nasty bugs and does not handle the PAL mpeg2 stream well. The ACTUAL reccomendation for MPEG2 codec is the Powerdvd codec. This info is only available if you search the forum...
So the documentation is a disaster, but if you finally master MP and want to have all the freedom and options you can imagine, MP is the best you can get!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom