Recording did not wake up PC (1 Viewer)

redfoot0

Portal Member
September 14, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,
My scheduled recording did not wake up my PC. I got home near the end of the recording and found the PC sleeping. I woke it up and then the recording started with only a few minutes of the show remaining.
Anyone have any idea what went wrong? Might be swearing but never had this problem with Windows Media Center.
Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Sorry you missed the recording.

What have you done to configure the PC to ensure it wakes for recordings? (...because it won't "just work" - it has to be configured to work)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    My scheduled recording did not wake up my PC.
    You need to enable the "PowerScheduler" plugin, for both TV Server and the MP Client (so two things to setup). PowerScheduler is included in the standard distribution, but it is disabled by default.

Note that PowerScheduler can wake your system only if you use sleep (power state "S3"), or hibernation (power state "S4"); PowerScheduler cannot wake your system from the off state (power state "S5").

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

redfoot0

Portal Member
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi CyberSimian, thanks for your reply. I'm bemused as to why this isn't standard functionality, yet another thing to configure.
    Why would I not want my PC to wake up and record my shows?
    Anyway, rant over. I'm grateful I can ask the question here and someone like your good self helps me out :)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I'm bemused as to why this isn't standard functionality
    Yes, I agree. (y)

The very first release of MP that I installed to evaluate was (I think) MP 1.3 or 1.4, and that version of MP had the predecessor to "PowerScheduler++", and that was enabled by default. So unattended recordings with the HTPC sleeping or hibernating worked without further setup. :)

When the improved "PowerScheduler++" replaced its predecessor, the decision was taken not to enable it by default. There may have been good reasons for this decision, but I don't know what they were, so I will have to leave it to others to explain the rationale. :confused:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm bemused as to why this isn't standard functionality, yet another thing to configure.
    It is a mistake to assume everybody has the same needs as you.
    If your TV Server sleeps to save power then of course you'd want it to wake for recordings.However, what about the people whose TV Servers do double duty as 24/7 file servers, media servers etc.?
    Both are common use cases. We can only have one default value. It is trivial to enable the PS plugin if you want it.

The very first release of MP that I installed to evaluate was (I think) MP 1.3 or 1.4, and that version of MP had the predecessor to "PowerScheduler++", and that was enabled by default.
    With the greatest respect, I think you're mistaken. I've been using MP for years now (without PS), and to the best of my knowledge no TV Server plugin - including PS - has ever been enabled by default.

redfoot0

Portal Member
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    I'm bemused as to why this isn't standard functionality, yet another thing to configure.
    It is a mistake to assume everybody has the same needs as you.
    If your TV Server sleeps to save power then of course you'd want it to wake for recordings.However, what about the people whose TV Servers do double duty as 24/7 file servers, media servers etc.?
    Both are common use cases.

For these use cases the TV server wouldn't go to sleep so waking up automatically by default would not cause any issues as it wouldn't apply in these use cases.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The point is: if you enable the PS plugin, it also automatically puts the PC to sleep when it is idle, which some people don't want.

redfoot0

Portal Member
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Ah I get you now, thanks. The PC's own idle/sleep settings aren't enough to put it to sleep then? Would expect to only require wake up to record. The PC's own idle/sleep settings can send it to sleep if configured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom