Recording Engine as a service (1 Viewer)

pmbsa

Portal Pro
September 27, 2004
Hi, I was just wondering if it would be possible to say have the recording engine run as a service, the idea being that even though MP may not be running its self you would still be getting your recordings done.

thanks
Paul

A

Anonymous

I think this is a great idea too, especially since the new TV engine will be a plugin interface, it should be much easier to do, then trying to move hard coded capture input, once this is done and working stable, it would then be not so hard to make it client/server which would be really nice, and maybe after that it would be nice to have client/server/slave, where clients talk to servers then servers can talk to slaves so you can have an unlimited number of capture sources, the only problem I see swtiching to a service is that I belive it has to be timeshfted which means it has to be hardware, as if your viewing live tv the service would have to write to a file as the main program reads from it, if you dont want to have capture code in MP as well as service which would be a good idea to avoid hardware conflicts, of both trying to access at the same time, but as hardware encoding boards are pretty cheap now, I dont think that would be a big tradeoff

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    That would be a cool feature. It could also have a link down in the taskbar area to where you could click on it and search throught the epg guide. You could set up all your shows at one time and be done with it. All without having to go into the program or anything like that. Yet that would all show up in the program when you were in there... something to think about.

samedney

Portal Member
    November 9, 2004
    Oxford, UK
    This could also really help people working on the web service, as I think they are having problems have MP pick up the new recording settings once a new recording is scheduled.

It would need a refresh event, or could be set on a timer to check the database every x minutes.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    We had a discussion about this in the irc channel a while back.
    Though @ look glance it's great on 2nd look it makes stuff harder.

We aimed and still aim MP to be an application running on a deticated HTPC.
    Meaning you have MP running 24/7.

This makes stuff very easy for noobs, just run MP and you r ok.

No services to be shutdown when you do an update, no recording services conflicting when you use other htpc apps etc etc.

For the webschedular the service is not 100% needed. There r other ways to get this working perfectly. We only need to tell MP in some way that the database has changed so MP can react to it.

RedDom

Portal Member
    May 9, 2004
    UK
    Networked service?

Does this relate to providing a networked recording service? The thing I really like about SageTV, that i currently use, is that I can have all my 3 TV tuners in a big noisy server , and my htpc client can be small and quiet, but can still watch live TV ,recordings and all control in the living room, in fact i can have tuners in multiple PC's including the client.. Having a tv service would probably make this easier, although I guess there are other ways to do this too. It would be awsome to have this client server in MP, which is better than sage in so many other respects. ( I think the MP TODO has had networked tv in for a while but not sure if we are talking about the same thing, I.E TV cards in server, control and watch in MP client PC))

Thx

RD

A

Anonymous

I like the transition to a service. It does sound like that would be one step closer to moving to a client/server setup. Especially in a server, you wouldn't have to log on and run the program, it would just automatically run in the background as long as the server is turned on.

Also, I wouldn't want to have to run MP all the time on my PC. If that is the case, why not just use a television? Because I've got this highly sophisticated machine, and I want to play games and do other junk and leave and let it worry about making sure Desperate Housewives gets recorded. Personally, I think the Compro Videomate Tv Gold Plus looks slicker than snot - it will actually turn your computer ON!

Here's my vote to server/client and background service support. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom