Recording formats (1 Viewer)

toddbailey

Portal Pro
April 25, 2006
Pac NorWet
Hi All,

I've distanced myself from MP because it only supports dvr-ms format. This format is totally useless for my applications. But I'm willing to wait until a format other than dvr-ms is supported.
I need mpeg 2. Has that time arrived or do I need to wait further?
thanks

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
i'm affraid you have to wait , word is frodo is going to have a beta release of the new tv module in around abouts 3 weeks, fingers crossed, also have server / client support from what i can gather

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

dvr-ms is MPEG2 with a different wrapper. You just have to rip off the dvr-ms info. There are many guides on how to do that (even MP can do it for you with the compress feature). Just do a search.

Anyway, the new TV engine will record to MPEG2.

Flip.

toddbailey

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2006
    Pac NorWet
    I may have called the format I need in error, not mpeg4 but mpg.

none of my existing apps know what to do with ms-dvr.

I had to find a custom app to convert and that took 2 hours for a 1 hour video, just so I could record to a stb dvd format.

any way I'll watch and wait until the next release comes out.

hopefully it will also address then next big issue of mine being able to have video output to the ceiling mounted projector (secondary display) and not the primary display a desktop lcd.

we'll see, meedio is getting cranky. time to move alone as they say, nothing to see here (literally, nothing to see or hear, meedio sucks).

tia

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Converting DVR-MS to mpeg2 can be done in a few minutes in MP or with graphedit, which can then be burnt straight to DVD with the appropriate program (I use nero showtime).

toddbailey

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2006
    Pac NorWet
    While this is true, it's still additional steps that have to be taken. So Instead of having 1 large file I wind up with 2. Putting the content on dvd media is only a small part of the requirement. There is also the requirement imposed by network appliences that don't recogize dvr-ms formats. Only the full blown Nero package know dvr-ms, my oem verion does not.
    In any case I just need the video files recorded to mpg format automatically. just to make my life that much easier.

toddbailey

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2006
    Pac NorWet
    There must be a newer version out then, the version I have only supported dvr-ms.

But I'll have to download the latest and install.

thanks for the info.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Now confused :?

As far as i remember all releases from 1.3 supported convertion to mpeg2 from the compression feature natively. Which version are you using toddbailey? as beside the autocompression which automatically changes the file from dvr-ms to mpeg after a 5 hour period (default) there should be no problem.

deppeler

Portal Pro
    June 23, 2006
    Paranoid Delusion said:
    Now confused :?

the autocompression which automatically changes the file from dvr-ms to mpeg after a 5 hour period.

What do you mean by this???
    Now I'm confused..I 've used the Compress feature but don't understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom