Recording/Guide Conflict (1 Viewer)

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
I hope this makes sense....

I've setup a number of weekly recordings for different shows. For example: Mythbusters on channel 35, every Sunday from 10pm to 11pm. When setting up this recording I chose to record every week at this time.

The problem lies when for whatever reason, the show gets pre-empted and another show takes it's place. The guide shows this change, however MP still records the show and labels it as "Mythbusters" when it actually isn't.

Whenever a weekly recording starts, should it not check to verify that the program it's recording, is actually scheduled in the guide? If it doesn't see that same program name in the guide, it shouldn't bother recording. (Or at least this is the way I'd like to see it happen).

Has anyone else brought this issue up? Anyone else notice it?

I'm using RC2 with a CVS from January 5th.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    I noticed this too. I think weekly recording at present simpy records this channel every week at this time regardless of the program.

I noticed this when a show I used to record daily got cancelled but the new show that took its place was always recorded in its place.

Inker

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Is there any reason you are using the "weekly at this time" option rather than the "every time it appears on this channel" or similar? It makes sense (to me at least) for the weekly at this time option to always record weekly at that time, regardless of the name of the program. The show being labelled as Mythbusters is clearly not right, but I do think that it should always record that timeslot, regardless of what the guide says.

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    A lot of the time, repeats of the same show plays at various times throughout the week....so if I choose EVERYTIME ON THIS CHANNEL, I get multiple recordings which I don't want.

I chose EVERY WEEK AT THIS TIME as new episodes are shown in that timeslot each week. If for some reason that show gets moved, or something else is playing, MP still records it, however I would prefer that it simply doesn't record anything in that example.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I don't consider the recording part a bug. to me "Every week at this time" means to record the same period every week no matter what, kind of like setting a manual record. There are times when I want to record the same time period because different shows are on then.

I have the same issue here with "The Bill" which has new episodes on twice a week and old repeatsat least once a day. Now that you mention it, I guess there should be an option to record a show *only* if it is on at that time. Maybe a new option for "Record every week only if on at this time" or something, just to clearly explain what is required. Really though, it's not a big deal if a show is recorded by mistake due to a network programming change.

I didn't notice that it uses the name of the original show rather than the replacement, though. This is certainly a bug, I guess.

speedy2243

Portal Member
    July 4, 2006
    I have the same problem. I often record tv series and currently german tv channels seem to have fun in changing time shedules.

For example battlestar galactica normally started at 20:15 and ended at 21:15 each wednesday. But sometimes it end at 22:15, so I always have to check the sheduler.

Windows Media Center Edition recorded it correctly. Only MediaPortal cannot react to changes in shedules.

I don't want to use "Every time on this channel" because then I record each episode twice.

Any advice? I'm using 0.2.0.0 RC4

Thx in advance.

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland

speedy2243

Portal Member
    July 4, 2006
    How about "Record each episode once any time on this channel".
    MCE can already do this.

You only have to analyse the epg data since the episode name is in each entry.

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    speedy2243 said:
    How about "Record each episode once any time on this channel".
    MCE can already do this.

You only have to analyse the epg data since the episode name is in each entry.

Sadly no it's not on every EPG source :(

MCE can do it because THEY control the EPG source.

speedy2243

Portal Member
    July 4, 2006
    CHli said:
    Sadly no it's not on every EPG source :(

MCE can do it because THEY control the EPG source.

Okay, thats a fact I didn't know. Then it's a lot more complicated.

Well I think most series are broadcasted only once a week and then repeated once.
    Maybe we can define a recording like "First time each week on this channel". This would work most times I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom