Recording in MPG instead of DVR-MS. Is it possible? (1 Viewer)

OMA

Portal Member
August 25, 2006
Hello all.

I'm new to these forums and MediaPortal. I've been trying to configure MediaPortal to record in standard MPEG2/DVD format (like the WinTV software of my Hauppauge PVR-350 card does), instead of DVR-MS. Where can I change this, if possible?. I've done a search in these forums for "dvr-ms" but no matches were found. I know that MediaPortal has an option to convert to MPG, but I don't want to reencode files, because some quality is lost when reencoding a video. Also, it's an unneeded waste of time to have to convert every video I make. I hope this is configurable.

Also, where can I change the location where recorded TV shows are put. I can only change the "My Videos" folder, but this is different from the "My recordings" folder. Where can I specify a different location?. I wan't it to be in a drive other than C:

Thanks a lot for your help!

OMA

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi OMA and welcome to MediaPortal.

I've been trying to configure MediaPortal to record in standard MPEG2/DVD format (like the WinTV software of my Hauppauge PVR-350 card does), instead of DVR-MS. Where can I change this, if possible?.

Unfortunately, you cannot change the file type for TV recordings as MP currently uses the MicroSoft "stream buffer engine" to create the recorded TV files, and hence the restriction to dvr-ms. I understand that the new TV engine that is being developed for MP will remove this limitation, so hang in there...:)

Also, where can I change the location where recorded TV shows are put. I can only change the "My Videos" folder, but this is different from the "My recordings" folder. Where can I specify a different location?. I wan't it to be in a drive other than C:
    This is well hidden in the Edit Properties of your TV card (in MP Configuration), where there is an option to specify the recording folder for your TV card.

HTH.....;)

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No quality is lost when changing from DVR-MS to MPG, as DVR-MS is just an MPG file with a wrapper for some dedicated TV info. This is also why converting from DVR-MS to MPG is so fast, as it's not actually re-encoding the video.

fake9

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 15, 2006
    Brugge
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Dvr-ms > Mpeg

Hi O M A,

The option in MP works great. I takes about 5 min to convert (for a movie of 2h) and as said in reply above.

You can find the option to convert in "recording" (opname in dutch), compress, u select the recording u want to have in mpeg and MP can go to work.

So when u needs a burger, smoke, long toilet rest, diner, u just select the recordings u want to convert in mp, and when ur back its done. Superbe no?

Your second question > MP Configuration, TV, TV Card > Edit and u can change the location it files need to be recorded.

Hope it help u to discover all superbe options in MP that the "classic" user wont need but are supported anyway.

Go GO Team MP

Hello all.
    I know that MediaPortal has an option to convert to MPG, but I don't want to reencode files, because some quality is lost when reencoding a video. Also, it's an unneeded waste of time to have to convert every video I make. I hope this is configurable.

OMA

OMA

Portal Member
    August 25, 2006
    Thanks a lot for your kind answers. I was at the FAQ already, but it seems I didn't pay enough attention to the DVR-MS part :). Anyway, I hope the MediaPortal team adds direct MPEG-2/DVD support in newer versions of MP, since it's an unneeded hassle to go through the DVR-MS header stripping process, no matter how fast it is, because you always need double space in the hard disk to do those conversions. BTW, I suppose DVR-MS files created by MediaPortal doesn't contain DRM, like files created with Windows Media Center do. Or do they?.

About the other question, I had already read the part in the FAQ that tells you to go to "Television --> Capture Cards --> Select (your) Capture Card from the list --> Edit --> On the Tab "Capture card" you can determine the recording folder", but there I can only specify the folder where I want to put my recordings, but not the drive (it doesn't allow to type the ":" symbol). I don't want MP to record in C: because I have little free space in that drive. How can I tell MP to record in D:?

Thank you!.

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I suppose DVR-MS files created by MediaPortal doesn't contain DRM, like files created with Windows Media Center do. Or do they?.

Thank you!.

No DRM in MP, but atm MP is using the Microsoft StreamBuffer engine for TV Timeshift and recording so the output file cannot be modified.

About your second problem I really don't understand your problem sorry :)

record_folder.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom