Recording stuck in endless loop (1 Viewer)

JimmyD

Portal Member
September 7, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Some of my recordings seem to get stuck in an endless loop. Case in point, I was trying to record a football game last night that started about 22:30. When I checked MP this morning to see if it had recorded properly, it showed that that channel was still recording (should have stopped somewhere around 03:00). When I try to watch that recording, it shows that only about 15 seconds of the show has actually been recorded. Another show scheduled to record during the same time frame recorded properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Logs attached.

Jim

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Jim

Thank you for the log files. I can see what you're referring to.

The direct cause of the problem appears to be the following sequence of events, which occur whenever TV Server starts [on system boot] or resumes [after standby/hibernate]:
    1. Tuner detection starts.
    2. Your Ceton tuner is detected within 10 seconds or so.
    3. Approximately 55 seconds later TV Server detects that your tuner is removed (ie. is no longer available).
    4. Approximately 30 seconds later TV Server detects that your tuner is available again.
    The problem occurs if a recording starts between steps 2 and 3. At the time that the tuner is removed, the recording is stopped. This explains the actual recording length. However, the scheduler is not aware of the change. The scheduler only notices a problem when it tries (and fails) to stop the recording at the scheduled time. This explains why MP/TV Server show that the recording is still ongoing when it actually isn't.

So, for me the question is: why does the tuner redetection cycle happen?

One thing that stands out in your log files is the fact that your computer's IP (network) address changes. The log files show it as 192.168.1.8, 192.168.200.2 or 127.0.0.1 (not set).

An IP/network address change could potentially cause the cycle.

Are you able to explain why the computer is assigned different IP/network addresses at different times?
    Note that it is generally recommended to use a fixed/static IP/network address for computers that run server software. We strongly recommend using a fixed/static IP/network address for any computer that TV Server is installed on.

Regards,
    mm

JimmyD

Portal Member
    September 7, 2015
    Home Country
    mm,

Thank you for your help!

I am not able to explain why the computer is getting assigned different IP addresses.

I have now assigned the computer a fixed IP address (I think).

After trying another recording session from sleep, the problem persists.

New log files are attached.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Jim

With regard to the computer addresses...
    I have to confess that I should have looked at your previous log files more closely. If I had looked more closely I would have seen that the tuner is a PCIe tuner rather than an ETH one. That fact explains why your computer has 2 addresses. One address is the connection to your local network; the other is the connection/interface to your tuner.

So, that avenue of enquiry is mostly a dead end. However, I think there's one important thing to note, and that is that TV Server should always expect to detect that your computer has 2 addresses. The fact that it doesn't is interesting and causes me to wonder whether the redetection is related to driver reinitialisation after resume.

It's frustrating to not know exactly what is going on. However, it should still be possible to work around the problem by increasing the value of the PowerScheduler "pre-wakeup time..." setting. You can find that setting within the PowerScheduler plugin settings in TV Server Configuration; enable "expert mode", then go to the "legacy" tab. Increasing the value to something like 180 seconds (3 minutes) should allow enough time for TV Server to wake, detect the tuner, lose the tuner, then finally redetect the tuner before a recording has to start.

Regards,
    mm

JimmyD

Portal Member
    September 7, 2015
    Home Country
    Thank you, mm!

Your suggestion to increase the value of the PowerScheduler "pre-wakeup time..." setting seems to have done the trick!

After thinking about it for a while, I think the reason the tuner card was re-initializing was because I was asking it to. I was having a different problem earlier in that shows weren't recording at all due to the tuner card not initializing after wake-up and your suggestion to have PowerScheduler "reinitialize TV controller on wakeup" solved that issue ( https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...king-for-recording.131948/page-2#post-1155121 ).

Anyway, thanks to your help I think I finally have a working system!

Jim

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Jim

Your suggestion to increase the value of the PowerScheduler "pre-wakeup time..." setting seems to have done the trick!
    Great. :)

After thinking about it for a while...
    The redetection I've been talking about is something completely different. You do need the "reinitialse TV controller..." option to be enabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom