recording tv just stopped :( HELP!!! (2 Viewers)

lewiskingy

Portal Member
November 4, 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Again, not very sure I'm being helpful here, so please tell me if I'm not!

I'm interested in your observation that the vCard Name property goes off and uses static methods from the public RemoteControl class. Given the scheduler code appears to be running on a separate thread, I was wondering if these static methods would be safe to call from it. As I say, don't know enough but it feels like some interesting scenarios could occur with the core service making use of RemoteControl while the scheduler tries to come in and get some information (and hangs). It certainly feels like it is hung waiting on a resource.

Anything I can do to better assist, let me know. If there are some simple instructions I could follow to build my own copy of binaries and tinker, I'd happily give it a crack.

JonoMg

Portal Member
March 16, 2009
Home Country
Australia Australia
@mm1352000 , @robbo100 and @lewiskingy ... Hey guys.

Firstly thanks to you three for the tireless work you put into this thread.

Unfortunately, it looks like this thread died as well and am hoping that is because it was somehow resolved. I can confirm that all variables described throughout this thread are those that I share as is the problem.

Win8.1 (upgrade from Win8)
EPG with duplicate channel names (@lewiskingy has suggested not an issue, so have not attempted 'fixing')
TVService running as System without interactivity to desktop (@lewiskingy has suggested not an issue, so have not attempted 'fixing')
TVService restarts in compatibility mode
Recordings do not stop at scheduled times
Future (scheduled) recordings do not kick in at all whilst (incorrectly) ongoing recordings have not finished
No way to stop the TVService after failed stop to recordings... must restart the system completely...resulting TS files Very Large

Difference - I am running the Final of MP1.6 and hence have not attempted using either of the Debug versions of the TVService that @mm1352000 supplied in this thread. If you need someone to run with this issue as a lab rat from here on, am more than happy to volunteer.

This issue has been ongoing for sometime, but I have not attempted to fix it to date as we were using our cable box for recordings. The issue now is that there are more concurrent shows that need recording than the cable box can handle.

I did a _complete_ MediaPortal uninstall and reinstall last night hoping that may fix the problem (before I came to read the threads!!)...unfortunately, it seemed to no avail. I set it, as a test before going to bed, to record the following schedule. (The actual program content was not relevant, as I picked randomly; Program A should have been roughly 25 minutes, B & C roughly 1 hour)

Program A start recording
Program B start recording
Program A stop recording
Program B stop recording
Program C start recording
Program C stop recording

This morning when I woke, I checked the system and both Programs A & B still running some 6+ hours after they should have stopped and Program C not having started (I have a dual tuner card, so this tends to make sense in my mind).

I have supplied the TVService.log and the Mediaportal.log files to this post, in case anything new to the issue can be seen.

Thanks again to everyone for the effort that was put to hopefully diagnosing this issue. Hopefully, either a fix has been found elsewhere or I can help to find it.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello JonoMg

First, sorry that you're experiencing this problem - I know it can be a pain in the backside when TV Server is not reliable, so I appreciate your post and patience.

Unfortunately, it looks like this thread died as well and am hoping that is because it was somehow resolved.
    From my perspective the problem is not resolved. I'm just fresh out of ideas for investigating further. Need some inspiration!

Future (scheduled) recordings do not kick in at all whilst (incorrectly) ongoing recordings have not finished
    No way to stop the TVService after failed stop to recordings... must restart the system completely...resulting TS files Very Large
    Yep, those are the symptoms. :(

Can you tell me about your environment...
    Network IPv4 or v6?
    Running a firewall (don't forget the Windows Firewall) and/or any other security software?
    Static IP address?
    Single-seat or multi-seat MediaPortal setup?
    Any other software installed/running typically?

Difference - I am running the Final of MP1.6 and hence have not attempted using either of the Debug versions of the TVService that @mm1352000 supplied in this thread. If you need someone to run with this issue as a lab rat from here on, am more than happy to volunteer.
    Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on that. :)
    Attached is a debug version of TvService.exe for MP 1.6.

Best regards,
    mm

Attachments

• TvService[1.6_scheduler_debug_v3].zip
      86.8 KB

JonoMg

Portal Member
    March 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Unfortunately, it looks like this thread died as well and am hoping that is because it was somehow resolved.
    From my perspective the problem is not resolved. I'm just fresh out of ideas for investigating further. Need some inspiration!

Hopefully I can help out with that... the other option for me is a dual implementation of WMC and Plex... dont want to go there...

Yep, those are the symptoms. :(

Can you tell me about your environment...
    Network IPv4 or v6?
    Running a firewall (don't forget the Windows Firewall) and/or any other security software?
    Static IP address?
    Single-seat or multi-seat MediaPortal setup?
    Any other software installed/running typically?

Network IPv4 or v6? IPv4, on an IPv6 capable router
    Running a firewall (don't forget the Windows Firewall) and/or any other security software? Winodws Firewall combined with above mentioned router with static routing
    Static IP address? External - dynamic, inside the router - static
    Single-seat or multi-seat MediaPortal setup? Single seat
    Any other software installed/running typically? The machine is the primary home PC, so lots of other software installed and could be running... sorry - I know that is about the worst possible answer I could have supplied!

Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on that. :)
    Attached is a debug version of TvService.exe for MP 1.6.

I have downloaded it, renamed the original, cleared out the TVService log and restarted with the debug version. I have set up two new recordings... the first is a quick 5 minute job that runs from 5 past the hour and sechduled to finish at 10 past the hour (plus the standard overrun). I will update as soon as I see what happens to that.

Thanks again for the help.

JonoMg

Portal Member
    March 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Ok - I can comfortably say the issue is still completely reproducible.

The recording has not stopped (as expected) and I have left it still running. I will check back on this thread every 5 mins for the next while to see if you respond with any specific instructions you want for debugging, but in the interim I have attached the newly refreshed TVService.log. Further, I noted the existence of a file that I had not previously noted, TVService-error.log. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be anything in the error log at all (a 0KB file) so I could not attach it.

Awaiting your instructions :)

I have checked through the log file I sent you and it seems that it is definitely the same issue... the last line of the TVService.log file that references the 'scheduler thread' is a 'card list count' reference and then nothing... see below.

[2014-01-26 11:15:11,115] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - debug: card list count = 2

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

You're right - the log files show the same issue as seen with lewiskingy.
    I'm a bit preoccupied with other stuff today - preparing for a business trip and moving next week. At this point there is nothing further to test or do. I just have to think... really hard about what we could do to narrow or solve the problem. This is a real puzzler.

Thanks!
    mm

JonoMg

Portal Member
    March 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    All good - real life generally gets in the way for me as well :)

I have a watch on this thread, so if anything comes to mind, please let me know and I will get on to it ASAP. In the interim, time for a reboot to stop the recordings so I don't lose all my space on the HDD.

Thanks again.
    Jono

Firemogle

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just to throw my hat in I am also having this issue with windows 8.1.

I can collect logs if wanted but it sounded like the logs weren't helping much. The only things that run on the machine other than the tv server are chrome and utorrent, and I do all the work on it using remote desktop. Don't think any of those would cause issues but I want to be thorough.

hopperp

February 3, 2014
    Michigan
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I, too, am having this issue with recordings not stopping. Not all recordings do it, but some do. I had one do it repeatedly for three days in a row last week, so I deleted the series recording and recreated it and the problem went away for that recording, although that may have just been a coincidence. Went out of town for the weekend and came home to find "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" had been recording for over two days! I'm watching this thread now and if there's anything I can add to the discussion, I'll be happy to do so.

I have Windows 8.1, the Hauppauge dual tuner PCIe card, running Media Portal 1.6. Not much else special or noteworthy. It's a recent rebuild, so it's a pretty clean machine.

toplad

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Did anyone get to the bottom of this? I installed 7 then bought a new PC on windows 8.1 and the problem came back!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom