Recordings stop too early when the timezone changes from winter to summer time (1 Viewer)

oli-ver

Portal Pro
March 17, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.2

Description
Recordings before 2:00 am at the morning of 25th March stopped exactly at 2:00 am. You can see this by looking at the timestamp and the length of the file in the screenshot.
View attachment 101091

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Add a recording that start before 2:00 am of 25th March 2012 (for example 01:42 with length 60 minutes)
2. Look at the recorded length of the file

Edit: Added Server logs, thanks for the advice Mark

Attachments

• mediaPortalSummertime.png
    mediaPortalSummertime.png
    6.9 KB

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

The clock goes forward at 2am. That would then be 3am. If the recording should finish before 3am, MP will then think that it should have finished, and stop it.

The problem is, there are so many reasons why a system clock might change, and it would not be possible for MP to take account of all of them. In effect this is expected behaviour. The only solution I can think of is to schedule subsequent programs so that you definitely get the end of the recording.

Mark

oli-ver

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Mark,

you could use a fixed timezone in the application's backend (Greenwich Time for example). Every event is saved in Greenwich Time. In the front end you choose any timezone you want and the time is calculated from the always in GMT saved timestamps. Time is complicated in applications, that's for sure.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi Elliot,

you could use a fixed timezone in the application's backend (Greenwich Time for example). Every event is saved in Greenwich Time. In the front end you choose any timezone you want and the time is calculated from the always in GMT saved timestamps. Time is complicated in applications, that's for sure.

Maybe, but the EPG data will be received in whatever the current timezone is. How would MP know how to convert this to GMT? It would work most of the time, but there would be the same problem at the point of switchover - MP would need to know exactly when the time changed.

I don't think there is a simple solution for this.

oli-ver

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In what format does the epg timestamps come from the EPG? I was hoping that they use a complete date timestamp like ISO 8601, YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD where you have all the information you need.

Yes I think you are right. There is no simple solution for this... Do bugs only count for simple problems? ;-)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Yes I think you are right. There is no simple solution for this... Do bugs only count for simple problems? ;-)

Bugs only count when they can be fixed!

Of course, the other way to do it would be to define a recording by start time and duration rather than by start time and end time.

oli-ver

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Perhaps this would be something to think of for later versions of MediaPortal (MediaPortal 2 for example). Thank you for your replies. The next time I will record 1 hour longer for safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom