RedEye Serial control for Sky and Cable STB's (1 Viewer)

pmbsa

Portal Pro
September 27, 2004
Hi,

I have a redeye serial control (http://www.redremote.co.uk/serial) which works really well for the Sky Digiboxes and the cable STB's in the UK (See the site for all the boxes it works on).
I have modified a version of MP (1.0.4 build, but will move it up to 1.0.5 now) to be able to make use of this control based on FreqResPlot's serial controller (thanks very much for that), it seems to work really well, I was wondering if it may be possible to include it much like serialUIR has been? I havn't finished the gui for configuration yet but that will be done shortly.

pmbsa

Portal Pro
September 27, 2004
Is there a better way?

Hi,

it looks like this isnt really getting much interest, I guess it may be a little obscure.
If its not possible to include this in the standard build, is there a better way for me to make use of this hardware (I am new to all this so I dont know).
As far as I am aware there are very few options to control a UK Cable box because it uses non standard IR frequencies (or something along those lines) so for me this is the best option (the bonus being it works and is super easy) but, it is painfull to integrate my changes every time there is a new version of MP.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Paul

lar282

Portal Pro
July 11, 2004
cant u make a regular plugin? That way u dont have to change it everytime a new mp comes out.
Have u tried to reach frodo or mario in the chat. They have tons of post to read and maybe this one just slipepd by

//Lasse

pmbsa

Portal Pro
September 27, 2004
Hi, thanks for the reply, I realise those guys must be very busy, I have not tried the chat but I will do.
I am not sure about the plugin approach, the reason being that I didnt think a plugin would work on a channel change event, if somebody could confirm that it will then thats got to be the best way to go.
I based by control on serialUIR as it was 80% there already, all I had to do was add a chennelchange method and remove the extra's (added my own config UI) and it worked.

thanks
Paul

maurij

Portal Member
September 14, 2004
uk
Would you be open to sharing your version of MP with that support included?

i have a UK digital cable box and am at wits end on how to get it to change channels.

I would really appreciate this kind of support natively in MP, but understand it would be for a limited market.

So far Tivo had the most elegant soluton to this, they made their own.

pmbsa

Portal Pro
September 27, 2004
yes of course, I am more then happy to share what I have done, I will have it all cleaned up probably by the end of this week, I will then test it with the latest cvs and let you know.
This redeye works a treat with my Cable box, I have the Pace 1000

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    but ofcourse it will be included IF the plugin is finished.
    It should be nicely integrated and optional in setup.

If you all do that we will be more than happy to put it in CVS.

Thanx for the work so far!

pmbsa

Portal Pro
    September 27, 2004
    Hi, That would be great, thank you, It is finished, i will clean it up and test it properly over the next week or so and then get it all to you (should I upload to patch area of sourcefource when its done or mail to u or what is best?)
    it integrates almost exactly like serialUIR, Config UI will be available 2 configure, the only difference is a requirement for including a call when a channel is changed.

thanks again
    Paul

sparkles

Portal Member
    January 16, 2005
    hi pmbsa, great to see that someone as tamed the redeye, ive just switched to media portal from meedio as it doesnt have a controlable cable tv support, but media portal seems to have a really good tv guide interface. what sort of channel changing response do you get with media portal and your plugin ?

carnt wait to give it a go, just need to work out how to line up the channels then :D all over again.

anyway thanks

pmbsa

Portal Pro
    September 27, 2004
    Hi, its pretty quick actually, I have my MP on timeshift all the time which gives a slight delay in the feed, but as far as changeing the channel it happens pretty much straight away, it seems about 98 percent reliable as well which is good, there have been a few occasions where its gotten confused but not often. (dam cable boxes!!!!)

I am going to give a good testing for this week to make sure its all stable and then release it and hopefully get it in the build.

thanks
    Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom