Reduced framerate if out of focus / inactive mediaportal window (1 Viewer)

tbrg78

Portal Member
October 9, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi guys.. o)

I use MP on a secondary display and I noticed that menu animations and scrolling through items is much much slower, if I have another application on my primary display active (then just about 7.5pfs). If I move the mouse over to the screen where MP is running and click there to "activate" MP again, the framerate or whatever causes the slowdown comes back to normal at about 30fps (fps shown by using SHIFT+1).

I control MP with an X10 remote, which is functional for MP even if it has no focus / is not the active window, but any menu animation and scrolling is ugly and usability is somewhat reduced by this behaviour. Btw. this is not dependent on the display MP is running on, if MP runs on the primary screen it slow as well, when using an app on screen #2.

Does anybody have any idea how to stop MP from slowing down like described ?!
Thank you for any help in advance - and for all the helpful posts i've read since then!.. o)

Rob.

Attachments

• reducedframerate.png
    reducedframerate.png
    122.9 KB

tbrg78

Portal Member
October 9, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
I would like to push this.. those jerky animations and stuttering if MP is not the active application is kind of.. aehm.. unlucky.. o)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I would like to push this.. those jerky animations and stuttering if MP is not the active application is kind of.. aehm.. unlucky.. o)

It is done to reduce the CPU & GPU load when MP is not having focus. In past it has been important, but probably for now we should consider dropping that behavior for future MP versions.

tbrg78

Portal Member
    October 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah, drop it!..o) I did some quick tests.. o)

When MP is not active, but idling in home screen, it uses 6-12% of one core of my quadcore athlon system, idling at 800mhz! as well.
    If i activate MP, the load does increase a bit, it then takes 10-20% of that single core. So actually, regarding the cpu-load, it does not make a big difference, at least on my equipment. But it has great influence on the look and feel of MP, while navigating by remote control when it is not activated, mainly because of that 7.5fps limit, i guess.
    Also, there is no greater effect on cpu load if I have a tv stream going on or something like that and MP is inactive or not, merely the same 10% difference.

Perhaps a new option to be able to disable this behaviour is the way to go, but personally I can live with MP using 10% more all the time, when any user interaction is as smooth as can be.. o)

Thank you Tourettes for taking your time!
    Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom