Refreshratechanger and weird sort of crash (1 Viewer)

ray076NL

Portal Member
August 30, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.2.0
MediaPortal Skin: streamedMP
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
CPU Type: AMD 4850e
HDD: WD, 1x1TB 2x2TB
Memory: 4GB DDR2
Motherboard: Gigabyte, the popular AM2+ one.
Video Card: Nvidia 8400 GS
Video Card Driver: n/a
2. TV Card: hauppauge MCE500, the dualtuner one without remote.
2. TV Card Type: Analog dualtuner hardware mpeg decoder.
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow, mainconcept mpeg2
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow handles all.
h.264 Video Codec: coreavc
Satelite/CableTV Provider: UPC Netherlands
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion, with suckish LCD
Power Supply: Antec earth~ 80plus.
Remote: pinnacle, its super awesome.
TV: TX-P42S30
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI->HDMI

I've probably found a rare bug, it doesn't always happen and only happens when using the refreshrate changer.
When having a video paused, in lets say 24Hz mode (so a movie), youll let it blank the screen by the screensaver (putting the screen in standby, or in the case of mine, not entirely stanby, just blackened) do this for a longer time, for lets say a half an hour, when you tick a button itll come on again, as usual, it goes directly into 60hz mode (which it shouldnt , 60 Hz is the default at mine for menu's like basichome) and it gives the desktop, after about 30 seconds mediaportal comes back, the movie has stopped. now that is not the annoying part, every videofile you start gets cut off after about a minute, a restart of mediaportal is necessary then.

i'd like to hear if people can reproduce this. i got no logfiles currently.

Thanks for your help in resolving this issue.
Ray076NL

-Use the refreshrate changer, 60Hz should be default
-Streamedmp with standard plugins
-used a plasmadisplay which doesnt actually go into a real standby-state.

EDIT after having the same issue again i directly went into the logfile, it seems to have something to do with derectx, it cant have anything to do withn the gpu since ive changed to nvidia instead of ati, also it hasnt got anything to do with the refreshratechanger as it seems.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    2012-01-03 02:33:46.768680 [Warn.][MPMain(1)]: d3dapp: DirectX9Ex is lost or gpu hung --> Reinit of DX9Ex is needed.
    2012-01-03 02:33:46.770680 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: d3dapp: Graphic adapter 'NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS' is using driver version '8.17.12.8562'
    2012-01-03 02:33:46.770680 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: d3dapp: Pixel shaders supported: 512 (Version: 3.0), Vertex shaders supported: 32 (Version: 3.0)
    2012-01-03 02:33:46.771680 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Creating DirectX9 Ex device

Yes, the DirectX device is lost and re-created. Playback of course stops here. Subequent playbacks should be no issue.

Very likely that in the 30 minutes other Win7 power saving stuff kicks in that causes this. Hibernation? Sleep? At least the 30 seconds until MP is back sounds like it. Under these circumstances as the GPU was put to sleep it has to be re-initialized.

For Power Management stuff a solution might be to restart MP automatically after Win7 went to sleep. In general these are GPU driver problems related to full screen apps. For example if you run a game and put your computer to sleep, when it wakes up games usually crashes to the dektop. The state is not really preserved and instead some defaults are loaded. These issues with Windows go back decades...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom