Regarding DVB-S Scanning (1 Viewer)

Steven81

Portal Pro
March 29, 2010
Hello, I've been a user of MediaPortal for quite some years now and I remember even from the beginning how user unfriendly channel-scanning was . I have not used since or before a device or even software that was not able to find the channels in question automatically from its gui. Given how powerful mediaportal is -though- I had to swim through it and indeed I learnt how to scan for DVB-T channels.

So I decided lately to put some satellite channels to my HTPC and right then I found out that it rests in an even greater level of impossible to tune into -even- one satellite channel through MediaPortal. I have nothing against the software itself, I believe it's of the best I ever used but it's beyond me why is it so mind numbingly hard to do something as simple which is at the core of this software's use. Especially given how every third rate utility has this (and MP is otherwise grade-A software).

Anyhow my issue is that I'm racing in my 30s with too little time or ability to memorize how is it that I should tweak every little sattelite parameter so that to be able to "see" the right channels. So I used another software through which I was able to extract the right parameters for a single channel (which of course was -automatically- found in that -other- software). But even when putting those parameters Mediaportal tells me "no channels found".

It's beyond me how is it possible to make MediaPortal to work with DVB-S2 if one does not have the time to learn every intricate detail of sattelite tuning. If anyone can give some pointers on what I should do I would be very greatful because as it stands every thread I've read on DVB-S tuning confuses me even more, it must be just about (of) the hardest thing to do in MP...

Thanks and sorry for taking too much time to drive my point home.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Steven81

Portal Pro
March 29, 2010
I've done all that it is suggested on the wiki and after hours still nothing. I'm too tired for the time being so I'll try again tomorrow. Interestingly enough *everything* else works, MP doesn't (as far as DVB-S goes)...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Steven81

I'm sorry you're finding it so difficult, and I'd be happy to assist. We'll need a bit more information:
    1. Which satellite(s) are you trying to receive from?
    2. Which channels are you having trouble receiving?
    Additionally, please provide your TV Server log files. You can do this using the 3rd option in the watchdog tool:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._Non_Reproducible_Problems_within_MediaPortal

Thanks,
    mm

Steven81

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2010
    Hello, thanks for the assistance. I was trying today almost all day -too- and I was able to find channels but only for a while. Indeed it worked out of the box (when I tinkered with none of the "advanced options") but shortly thereafter the signal was "lost" once again. From then on I can not find any channels anymore. What's supremely strange is that by using the software provided with my Tuner I can well tune to any channel I want and it will stream no problem but as far as mediaportal is concerned 95 times out of 100 it will give me "no signal".

I'm running Windows 8, my DVB-S tuner is called "anysee E7-S2", the satellite I'm trying to receive from is "Hotbird 13 E"

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

Indeed it worked out of the box (when I tinkered with none of the "advanced options") but shortly thereafter the signal was "lost" once again.
    It is not recommended to tinker with the advanced options unless you know what they mean. ;)

From then on I can not find any channels anymore. What's supremely strange is that by using the software provided with my Tuner I can well tune to any channel I want and it will stream no problem but as far as mediaportal is concerned 95 times out of 100 it will give me "no signal".
    If you're switching between MP TV Server and the Anysee software then you need to restart the MP TV service in order for MP to be able to control the tuner again. This might explain the problems.

I'm running Windows 8, my DVB-S tuner is called "anysee E7-S2", the satellite I'm trying to receive from is "Hotbird 13 E"
    Okay.

Please also remember this (which is the most important of the three things I asked for).
    Additionally, please provide your TV Server log files. You can do this using the 3rd option in the watchdog tool:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._Non_Reproducible_Problems_within_MediaPortal

Steven81

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2010
    I certainly do not alternate between the two TV apps I am/was aware of the issue from the days I was tuning my DVB-T channels. As for the logs, it's simply impossible my HTPC is running a 30gig SSD and there's no ways it could make a log output file (my PC said that the disk is getting full).

Anyhow I tried to do it manually so I'm uploading in this post the last few logs that TVservice produced...

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    As for the logs, it's simply impossible my HTPC is running a 30gig SSD and there's no ways it could make a log output file (my PC said that the disk is getting full).
    if several megabytes of log files raise "no free space" message - then this could be also one of reasons of TV not working. MP has always active timeshifting function, and that timeshifting needs lot of space to be able to save TV stream. Have you configured timeshift folder to be on your small SSD? remember that every tuner has its own timeshift settings (location of files etc.), so please check timeshift settings for your DVB-S tuner (i assume you need to move timeshift folder to your HDD that have enough space for it)

Steven81

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2010
    I have 3 gigs free plenty for timeshifting, I have no idea why the logging service told me that I have not enough space, many logs I suppose. As I ran it though I got from about/around 2gigs (afterwards I did some cleanup) to 14 megs... Anyhow I hope the logs I provided are enough.

Also I redid the scan, it worked -again- and when I tried to "preview" the channels -again- it gave me "no signal detected" and sometimes "all cards are busy", even after I restarted TVservice... same as last time in other words (as it is written on the logs too I suppose)

Last edited:

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    please post logs after cleanup (as described there) http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files
    The fact, that logging service tells you that there is no enough space available, can happen if there are timeshift files already created. Please check log folder size (both for MediaPortal and TVServer) directly after MP start just to be sure that logging takes so much space and not other data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom