Reinstalling - Best to use same MP version then upgrade? (1 Viewer)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.2.0
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 Wide
    Windows Version: XP Home SP3
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4450e
    HDD: WD 160GB + 2TB Caviar Black SATA
    Memory: 2GB DDR2
    Motherboard: ASUS M2A-VM HDMI (micro ATX, AMD 690G chipset)
    Video Card: Gigabyte ATI HD4550 Passive, PCIe
    Video Card Driver: 11.9
    Sound Card: On-board Realtek ALC883
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: BlackGold BGT3600
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S2 x2, DVB-T2 x2
    1. TV Card Driver: 8.1.1.1
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: PowerDVD 10 (ffdshow for DVD)
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
    h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC 3
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 28.2E + Eurobird 28.5E
    HTPC Case: Antec Fusion (silver, with VFD)
    Cooling: 2x120mm case fans, 90mm Noctua on CPU
    Power Supply: Antec 430W
    Remote: Microsoft IR remote + keyboard
    TV: Samsung 26" LCD
    TV - HTPC Connection: VGA Sub-D (1360x768)

It's got to the point when I need to reinstall my HTPC. I'm going to change the OS from XP to Win7, and I may as well use the latest MediaPortal as well.

So, my question is: Would it be less painless to install the same version (1.1.2.0) on the new OS, restore a backup (with the backup plugin) then update to the new version, or is it possible to restore a backup straight onto the new one? What's the least painless way to go?

I've got TVSeries and Moving Pictures on there, which were a pain to set up and I very rarely use them, so I'm not too worried about those, but if there's a way to copy the databases for those across somehow it would be nice (I had to enter most of the TV series stuff manually for endless children's stuff, episode names and numbers etc - I won't do it again if I can't rescue what I've done - never worth it).

Rob

Da_JoJo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    most easy way is to download a iso of windows vista ultimate in the same language. run windowsupdate advisor to see if u need any driver or uninstalls for incompatible software/drivers. install windows vista from within XP. just run the installer and choose update system to vista and do not put any key for activating windows. (best to have a genuine microsoft copy of vista in the same language as u installed.)
    once xp converted to vista. run windowsupdate till it comes up with nothing more. run update advisor for vista to see if anything conflicts.
    reboot and get a copy of windows 7 in the same language and install this from within vista. choose update install files and update vista.
    once u see windows 7 desktop , update all software again if neccesary. and run windows updates till u have all.
    reboot and open a command prompt in elevated mode and type there : rundll32 advapi32.dll ProcessIdleTasks
    wait for it to finish and reboot. now open elevated command prompt and type : sfc /scannow
    to see if there is any conflict or missing files in windows.
    after that and after u checked ur programs that they work run ccleaner full clean and regclean.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply - sounds very long winded :eek:

I've already done it now anyway - I installed the same version of MP on a clean Win7 install, restored the channel listings and set the rest up, then upgraded to the latest MP. Working fine :)
    Now I just need to decide whether I can be bothered to set up TVSeries again...

Da_JoJo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for the reply - sounds very long winded :eek:

I've already done it now anyway - I installed the same version of MP on a clean Win7 install, restored the channel listings and set the rest up, then upgraded to the latest MP. Working fine :)
    Now I just need to decide whether I can be bothered to set up TVSeries again...

lol
    thats what this would have avoided :)
    if you have the old files , i think its just a matter of putting in the database inputs and the files belonging to tvseries. you might wanna ask the maker of tvseries for any possible solution, im sure he knows how.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    lol
    thats what this would have avoided :)
    May have done - I'm not keen on (multiple) OS upgrade installs though - much rather have a clean install. My XP was in a mess anyway after swapping most of the hardware.

if you have the old files , i think its just a matter of putting in the database inputs and the files belonging to tvseries. you might wanna ask the maker of tvseries for any possible solution, im sure he knows how.
    I'm sure he does.

Da_JoJo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    removing old hardware can be done like this :
    open elevated command prompt (type CMD in searchpane and when its highlighted press ctrl-shift-enter then press ok button
    in CMD you type : SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    and then : devmgmt.msc
    in the menu on top select hidden devices

now you will see all devices installed and therefor being able to remove this nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom