Remote control problem (probably not mediaportal) (1 Viewer)

enchant

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I just received a Firefly Mini remote that I recently purchased on Woot. It seems to be working to some extent, but only a few keys. The navigation keys (up/down/left/right/ok) work, and the individual numbers, but that seems to be it.

I really don't think this is a MediaPortal problem, because I'm getting the same results on other programs like Winamp. Pause/Play/Stop don't work. When I press the buttons, the little IR receiver blinks, signaling that it is receiving something.

It almost seems like an issue at the operating system level (WinXP), but I don't know how to troubleshoot this. I did a google search, but everything I come up with relates to controlling a pc remotely, and not configuring a handheld remote control.

Does anyone know where I can find information about this?

JoePlumber

Portal Pro
October 26, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
I'm currently using Gyro's MCE remote and have configured my remote to work with MP.

In MP Configuration, click on Remote and select the General HID tab. Enable "use general HID device" then click on "Mapping". You can change the remote settings here and the conditions that applys to it.

MediaPlay --> no condition --> action "play"
MediaPlayPause --> media is playing --> action "pause"; for no condition --> action "play"

Hope this helps.

enchant

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
I'm not sure exactly what I did. It did get "Pause" to work, but nothing else. I have to believe that I did it wrong, but blundered into something that worked slightly. Here are the steps I take:

MP Config - Remote - General HID tab
Click on Mapping
Click on '+'s to expand: MediaPause / All Layers / No Condition
Under that is now two items:
Action "Pause"
click.wav

I click on Action "Pause"

Is there anything else I should be doing here? Without making any changes, I just click Apply.

Now pause will work. I tried doing the same thing with "MediaStop", but with no success.

JoePlumber

Portal Pro
October 26, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
You need to specify a condition. For example, to configure MediaStop, click on "playing" in the section that says Condition. Next, select "media is playing" from the drop down box. Click Apply.

enchant

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
Ok, I think I'm doing it right, but there's something weird with the button. Here's how I'm configuring it, which is what I think you're saying:

mp-1.gif

...and it doesn't work.

Now the pause function is down near the bottom, around the 40's. I don't see a stop button down there. However, If I configure the Record button to act as Stop, the video does successfully stop when I push record.

mp-2.gif

I wish there was some utility that would tell me what number is being transmitting when I push a button.

JoePlumber

Portal Pro
October 26, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hmm, maybe you should re-label your remote with the Record button as the Stop button. :D

These mappings are designed for a media keyboard, so if your remote behaves the same way as a keyboard (play, pause, stop, rewind), you should be able to change the mappings to match your remote buttons.

Go through the list and change any mappings that you think will make your remote work correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom