Remote desktop support (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

It seems, that MediaPortal is the only application I know that does not work with Remote desktop connection.

I don't want to use VNC, because Remote Desktop works perfectly for me and is great on slow bandwith connections.

Is there any chance to get this fixed?

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have to agree with this.
    I sometimes remotely manage my HTPC to do updates etc.

Unfortunately testing Media Portal remotely is not an option.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also love RDP, sadly it does not work with MP. At an other place in the forum, there is an explanation why. Try to search.

I am now using http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/ and this is a great VNC solution. Not as fast as RDP, but it is fast enough to manage and test your HTPC setup without problems. And you are not loged out at the remote computer. Give it a try!

I think it is a good solution next to RDP. :D

A

Anonymous

As I said vefore, I don't want to use VNC. In that case I will give a try to another HTPC software :(

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Mediaportal is the only HTPC application which uses DirectX for its GUI
    Thats why it looks so great
    Unfortunaly MS Remote Desktop doesnt support DirectX applications
    There's nothing (as far as i know) we can do about this.

I don't want to use VNC. In that case I will give a try to another HTPC software
    If you want to switch to another HTPC app just because you dont want to use ultravnc, then thats your choice.

Frodo

A

Anonymous

frodo said:
    Thats why it looks so great

??? For me it doesn't look better then other applications.

Why should it look better to render a pixel with DirectX than with GDI?
    The ONLY reason I would know is performance. But I don't think, that media portal outperforms similar applications.

But if there is no chance to get this running, I don't have to look at Mediaportal anymore ...

A

Anonymous

Do you play unreal tournament via remote desktop ?
    I don't think so, use the remote desktop tool for what it's designed.
    Or use a real remote program, like vnc or dameware.
    And if you think mediaportal doesn't look so good, then you can make a better skin perhaps?

A

Anonymous

usul remember this is a free application and all the effort that is put in there is the free time of a few people.

So I think you should show some more respect to these people then demanding stuff which isn't even needed. MP is for displaying on a tv not for working through a remote dekstop session.

Wish you good luck with finding a program which does the same as what MP can do for you for free. If you decide to come back to MP, I'm willing to help you with solving REAL problems or issues you having with MP.

A

Anonymous

I agree using MP over a remote desktop connection is pretty useless; However, it would be very handy to be able to run the configuration app remotely. Is this possible, or does the DirectX engine have to be loaded up with the plugins in order to run the configuration app?
    It would be handy to administer the application from a pc with a real keyboard and mouse instead of the system running MP with only a remote.
    What do you guys think?

A

Anonymous

knubile said:
    I agree using MP over a remote desktop connection is pretty useless; However, it would be very handy to be able to run the configuration app remotely. Is this possible, or does the DirectX engine have to be loaded up with the plugins in order to run the configuration app?
    It would be handy to administer the application from a pc with a real keyboard and mouse instead of the system running MP with only a remote.
    What do you guys think?

Have you even tryed?

Is working for me with VNC :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom