Remote Media Source (1 Viewer)

scouseman

Portal Member
August 20, 2015
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of moving over from MP1 to MP2 but have run into a problem.
I have a remote dedicated server where I host some of my media content on the internet.
Is there any way I can connect my remote media source to my MP2 server, on MP1 it is possible to use FTP, is there any solutions for MP2?

Cheers
scouseman

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, sorry for the late reply. Currently FTP isn't supported in MP2 but it would be a nice feature to add.
    How would you expect it to work? E.g. Do you just want to be able to browse/play the files or would you want the files to be imported into the library, including scraping online metadata for any movies/series/etc?

scouseman

Portal Member
    August 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Hi Brownard, In the ideal world the remote files would be imported into the local library, but I realise this is much more difficult implement, especially the real-time updating on files which are added to the remote server.

I considered reverting back to MP1 to resolve this issue and using MP-TV Series, but was told I couldn't use an FTP connection and would have to use a VPN tunnel, but considering I already have an open VPN proxy running the solution is no use either.

I have tried everything including emby to achieve this without scraping solution without any real success

Shall I open a feature request?

Last edited:

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes please open a feature request. I think it's technically feasible, no guarantees on the time frame though ;)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    n the ideal world the remote files would be imported into the local library
    This will require new Ressource Provider. Something like "FTPRessourceProvider" for import (and play) from FTP folder and/or "WebDAVRessourceProvider" to import (and play) from various cloud storage. In general this should be possible (without sharewatcher of course) but it probably will be very slow, especially the import.

My internet is not fast enough to play videos over internet. WebDAV is out of scope for me. But the FTP RP could be useful in home environment too. Samba is not that easy and reliable in Linux environments, FTP is much faster, easier and more stable to realize. I would vote for implementing this too. If this will be implemented it will take some time to complete. Don't expect this to be ready soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom