Remote pc control of MP TV via network? (1 Viewer)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am in the process of ... very slowly... putting together my HTPC.

For the moment , I have MP TV running on my office pc in the basement for testing. I would like to temporarily run a video line up to my living room TV. As my TV is currently out for repairs, our stand-by TV has only an RF/cable connection. I have an RF converter that I was going to connect via the composite video out of my graphics card and stereo audio out and run a coax line to the other side of the house.

Is there a way to control MP on my office pc through a small, underpowered pc I currently use just for playing music files over the network (until my HTPC is assembled.) I am using MP on the music pc with a MS-MCE remote. I haven't wanted to install TV Server on the office computer, as the HTCP will be a Server/client set-up and my office pc will be a client only. I don't want to process the video through the 'music pc' because it can't keep up (and will eventually replaced). I only need to use the 'music pc' as a controller to the office pc.

Any suggestions?

:D

Chuck

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    VNC, it lets you control another PC over a network. It's like Microsoft's Remote Desktop feature but Remote Desktop wont work with DirectX (MediaPortal uses DirectX).

Try one of these:

RealVNC
    TightVNC
    UltraVNC

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom