[solved] "Remote Resources" folder ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client (1 Viewer)

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
I've just been trying to troubleshoot a weird problem all morning.

I was about to upgrade to the MP2.2 pre-release, but thought I would back up my settings and entire DB first. I tired to do this bby copying the entire folder C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal. But every time I tried to do this it caused problems.

What usually happened was that Windows would copy the first 6 files and folders and then the copy dialogue would just sit there doing nothing. If you pressed cancel, the dialogue would change to "cancelling..." but nothing would happen. In the end I had to manually kill an restart the explorer process.

A couple of times If I left the copy operation to run, it would totally lock up the PC.

I ended up doing an sfc /scannow (no problems), a full chkdsk (no problems) and a Windows RAM check. The RAM check did fail, so I started pulling the modules out of my machine, but was unable to find the one which might be causing the issue. In the end I gave up and put them both back in.

Finally I tried copying the folder structure piece by piece and eventually found that there is a shortcut called "Remote Resources" located under C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client which is causing the problem. Windows says this shortcut is a "mounted volume" linked to MP2 RESOURCE which seems to be somehow linked to DOKAN.

Remote resources.JPG MP2 RESOURCES.JPG DOKAN.JPG

Can anyone tell me what this is? Its caused me a lot of bother this morning! :)

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
AAARGH! I've just tried copying the entire folder in one go again and it worked first time! "Remote resources" just copies as a normal folder, though.

I wonder what the hell went wrong earlier? :(

Alberto83

Portal Pro
August 7, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
I have no idea but it happened me from time to time while I was doing backup of old data to test new builds.
Usually a server service restart, a MePo client kill or even a system restart fixes it, like a process was stuck.

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
Incidentally, when I said before that the RAM test failed, it actually got stuck at 21% which it turns out isn't a fail at all. According to Google it can sit at 21% for hours before moving on. I will re-run it tonight just to be sure but I don't think it was a RAM issue.

Alberto83

Portal Pro
August 7, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
It's unlikely. Usually RAM issues are much more invasive with lots of crashes and blue screens. EDIT: and leads to a lot of system instability, not just targeting a single application.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    You don't need to bother about "Remote Resources" folder at all.
    It's a "virtual" disk created by Dokan as a way to transport all kinds of media (audio, video, images, archives, ISO files,...) in an unified way. It don't contain any "real" data and will be freshly created on every start. Those virtual disks are for usage by the MP2 server only and for this they can not be accessed from "outside"... It's not needed or useful to back them up...

Earlier versions of MP2 had created this virtual disk with an own drive letter (normally T: if not in usage) but this extra drive letter could disturb some other programs that want to access all disks, no matter if they should. That's why the virtual disk now is mounted in an empty NTFS folder instead, similar as you can do it with any "regular" disk...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom