Remote Server - Non LAN Access (1 Viewer)

scouseman

Portal Member
August 20, 2015
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Hi,

Is it possible to configure MP-TV Series to access my TV series files which are remotely located on my dedicated server, as opposed to on my LAN.? I do have FTP configured on the server.
I have tried but up to now unsuccessfully

Cheers

scouseman

Portal Member
August 20, 2015
Home Country
Thanks, RoChess, I will be sure to give it a try, in the past, I have used FTP.
It will be interesting to see how they compare

scouseman

Portal Member
August 20, 2015
Home Country
I truly wish your solution was so straight forward, I am having real problem implementing any sort of solution which incorporates media scraping with my remote library,
I am having a real problem finding any sort of instructions how to create a VPN tunnel between windows and Ubuntu to share media files most use FTP.
To complicate matters I currently have an open vpn proxy running between my home network and my dedicated server, even if I was to take this proxy down, I still wouldn't know how to achieve what you are suggesting.
Any advice would be most appreciated

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Any advice would be most appreciated

If you already have an OpenVPN tunnel in use, then just piggy-back on that one, or add another. Setting up an insecure PPTP VPN Tunnel is like 5 clicks and can be done in under a minute, but it is called insecure for a reason. OpenVPN however relies on SSLv3/TLS and is very secure at the cost of a few extra steps to set it up on the host side. That's what manuals are for if you have never done this before, but it sounds like you already have.

As for connecting the client side to it, that is basically the same for any VPN and at the most you adjust the protocol.

Once setup then you can just rely on basic Samba/SMB shares to do the rest and make it extremely easy for MP-TVSeries to manage the remote library as if it was internal. If you struggle using UNC or alike paths then just bind the remote library to a drive letter.

Ubuntu Samba @ https://help.ubuntu.com/community/How to Create a Network Share Via Samba Via CLI (Command-line interface/Linux Terminal) - Uncomplicated, Simple and Brief Way!

scouseman

Portal Member
    August 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for your in-depth help, yes I already have a secure connection to my server using open-vpn from windows to my ubuntu server.
    I will be sure to persevere until this is resolved, then hopefully MP-Series will play nicely with my remote shares.
    I am quite surprised there aren't more people trying to achieve this, I have actually just opened a request MP2 to incorporate this feature in the future.
    I suppose you need a decent internet action before it is possible, which a lot of people don't have.
    Thanks again for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom