Remote SMS Instead Of Keyboard (1 Viewer)

crazyfool

Portal Pro
October 8, 2008
hey guys,
Upgrading to 1.1 final about 2 weeks back and its great. Since then I have installed a couple of plugins I hadn't used before including a web broswer, the spoitfy plugin and the grooveshark plugin. The thing is I don't use a keyboard with my htpc only a harmony remote so I find using the on screen keyboard takes a long time.
So I was wondering is there a plugin or a feature in mp which I have missed that will allow me to use the remote instead of the keyboard via sms like typing?
If not how difficult would it be to implement such a feature to replace the on screen keyboard as I am a budding developer so I could give it a go.
Any help anyone could provide would be great. Thanks.

spiral

Portal Member
August 19, 2009
Home Country
Hi crazyfool,

I've used RemoteKC which allows you to do this, at least for MCE remotes. Not sure how it would work with a Harmony one. As an added bonus, it lets you use the remote as a mouse! I'm pretty sure there's at least one plugin that uses an "SMS keyboard" (maybe Moving Pictures, or Music Search - can't quite remember) as the default input, so it's definitely doable, but I'm not a developer so have no idea how difficult it would be.

Cheers,
Andrew

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    AW: Remote SMS Instead Of Keyboard

We're discussing this option since a looong time now. It's a problem and much work to integrate this since we have to have all options (real keyboard input, virtual keyboard input, sms style input) since we have different user types (think of touchscreen users).

Unfortunately it's not integrated in MP1 and I guess with much more dev-power going to development to MP2 its hard to find someone to patch MP1 to fully integrate SMS-Style Input (on all places, and there are a few...). Maybe someone from the cummunity is interested to provide a patch?

But the good message is: For MP2 its on the todo-List!

burr

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    is it not possible to add the functionality to the virtual keyboard. isn't the virtual keyboard the most common control for entering text?

red_zebra

Portal Pro
    September 1, 2009
    Leipzig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also miss that feature, because I also find it very cumbersome to do any inputs via the on screen keyboard. Unfortunately I am not a programmer and so I completely believe in what The_Stig said, but just as burr mentioned, it's really hard to understand that there could be no plugin which simply overlays the on screen keyboard and converts 3-3-3 to F, 5-5 to K and so on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom