Rename local video (1 Viewer)

DotJun

Portal Member
February 28, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I used to be able to rename local video files (as displayed in the gui, not the actual file itself), files that are not on thetvdb.com, but I am not able to do that as of the last update. Is this a bug or is there a new switch I must enable so I can rename my files?

DotJun

Portal Member
February 28, 2012
Home Country
I checked the wiki and the only thing I found was this:
  • Create proper filenames with season and episode syntax e.g.
    • My Trip to Fiji - S01E01.avi
    • My Trip to Fiji - S01E02.avi
    • My Trip to Fiji - S01E03.avi
    • My Trip to Fiji - S01E04.avi
  • Load Media Portal Configuration, MP-TVSeries plugin.
  • Start the Import Wizard, and select Skip when no match is found for the 'My Trip to Fiji'
  • Finish Import
  • Select 'Details' tab.
  • Find your Series, Enter Series and Episode info (This will create USEREDIT fields in database)
  • Right Click on series and select 'Ignore on Scan' so we dont prompt to match series everytime an import is run.
  • Enter GUI and select series, then play!
This did not work.

What I'm trying to do is to add "specials" such as gag reels into a "specials" folder. I give them names such as "gag reel - 5x20" so that it will be, this particular file anyway, played at season 5. I always name them with the episode number following the last episode shown on thetvdb.

What used to happen is I would import a new series and mptvseries would add the normal episodes along with all of my added "specials" files given a generic name of "episode x". I used to be able to just select the file I wanted to edit and in the "EpisodeName" field, put down the new name I wanted.

Well that isn't working anymore. Anytime I edit that field, as soon as I select any other file, the original field I edited reverts back to the default name. Even following the instructions above which I got from the wiki I am not able to rename MY files.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    *ALL* specials are Season 0, as per TheTVdB order

DotJun

Portal Member
    February 28, 2012
    Home Country
    so there is no way to have a file play/show up after the last episode of the season? Forget I said specials, let's just say there are 20 episodes in season 2 and I want a file to play/show up as episode 1 of season 2, how would I go about doing this now?

Before the last update it was as easy as renaming said file in mptvseries in the EpisodeName field, but now when I try to edit that field, whatever I enter does not get saved.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    You would have to manually add the *entire* show as a manual entry. The moment TheTVdB is used all bets are off, and it only works well for the episodes that are defined there. As for showing specials within seasons, that is a setting you can adjust inside MP-TVSeries configuration.

DotJun

Portal Member
    February 28, 2012
    Home Country
    thanks for the help. just one last question, this is a new feature correct? Just making sure that I don't or do have a switch enabled/disabled because I used to be able to import via thetvdb and then manually edit the names afterwards.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The overruling of local files when TheTVdB data is missing was introduced a long time ago. I do not know the exact changelog item, but it is open source so you are welcome to go through the list of changes, and look for the comments.

Still a lot of stuff that was broken got fixed, so using an older version of MP-TVSeries to get this specific "bug" back as a feature usually isn't a good investment of your time. The way it works now is the way the developer wants it to work. You are more then welcome to submit a proper ticket at the open source tracker (forum is never a good place for this), or since it is open source you can pick up a C# book and adjust it the way you want it yourself.

In a lot of cases you just have to settle on a new workaround, as there is usually always a trick to make it work exactly the way you want it to be. For this situation that means a lot of manual work, or see if the new result works for you.

Either way, enjoy :)

DotJun

Portal Member
    February 28, 2012
    Home Country
    Ok so I just found something interesting. When I rename a file in mptvseries setup, in the EpisodeName field, whatever I type there stays until I select a different file. After selecting a different file then going back to the original file i edited shows that whatever I renamed it to did not take, BUT when you open mptvseries and look there the name does reflect what you renamed the file to![DOUBLEPOST=1430804701][/DOUBLEPOST]ok forget everything. with the newest patch .2151 everything is back to normal. I am now able to edit names again. so i guess the whole not being able to name them was a bug after all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom