Rename US channels to make more sense! (1 Viewer)

karl10247

Portal Pro
November 8, 2011
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Dudes,

I've just moved over to the states, houston texas to be exact and have just got my new ATSC tv card for OTA antenna channels. I've scanned and picked up all of the local channels no problem but the descriptions are garbage e.g. KPRC-HD is actually NBS to us real people. For more examplea see attached.

My question is, is there an easy way to rename all the channels into something more intuitive without having to go in and manually do it?

US FTA/OTA users im looking in your direction.....

Attachments

• TV Channels.jpg
    TV Channels.jpg
    374 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

...but the descriptions are garbage e.g. KPRC-HD is actually NBS to us real people.
    For what it's worth, the descriptions are all that is available from the broadcast stream. They're controlled by the broadcasters themselves. Nothing we can do about this.

My question is, is there an easy way to rename all the channels into something more intuitive without having to go in and manually do it?
    No, not that I'm aware of.
    As above: TV Server does not have access to these "intuitive" names. What you see is all that is available from the broadcast stream received by the tuner. Further, I'm not aware of any database - free or otherwise - that would enable us to convert the callsign to the network name automatically.

Regards,
    mm

PS: I see this is your third post within 2 hours asking the same question. Please be a little more patient and avoid reposting. On this forum it is not unusual for answers to take a few days or even a week. Posting multiple times will not get an answer faster.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm in the USA and use OTA/ATSC TV, as far as I know the Channel IDs KPRC-HD etc are the only ID info available. This is the "legal" channel/station license ID from the FCC/government. In general there is no relationship between Channel ID and the network other than NYC (WCBS, WNBC, WABC) and LA (KCBS, KNBC, KABC). Some of the ATSC sub-channels have the Network ID, (COZI, METV, etc) but all of the main/primary channels just have the official Channel ID.

I agree it would have been nice to have a "Network ID" available in the digital bits to identify the network carried by that channel but that was not defined in the rules. The following webpage has a list of all the channels in each USA TV market and shows the networks for each channel, click on the city, then click on a channel to see details for sub-channels.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php

karl10247

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2011
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Thanks for the replies ppl, shame theres no easy way of changing the names. On the bright side i culled 77 houston channels down to 22 removing all the BS channels or foreign language channels so i havent got so many to do.

XMLTV mapping was a nightmare!!!!

I'll checkout the website, cheers

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Part of the problem could be solved if you will have US networks logos mapped to your channels so at least you can understand what's this channel inside MediaPortal

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom