[no Bug] Repeated crashes while watching TV - possibly related to a weak TV signal (3 Viewers)

automationRulez

Portal Member
July 22, 2011
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0 RC
MediaPortal Skin: Streamed MP
Windows Version: 7 ultimate 64
CPU Type: i3 2105
HDD: 1TB
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Motherboard: GAZ68MA-D2H-B3
Video Card: none (HD3000)
Video Driver: 8.15.10.2361
Sound Card: onboard
1. TV Card: Hauppage HVR-2200
1. TV Card Type: dual tuner hybrid
1. TV Card Driver: 7.6.27.27323
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC MPEG2
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD
h.264 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD
Satelite/CableTV Provider: none
HTPC Case: old ATX case
Cooling: stock
Power Supply: 430W
Remote: none
TV: Epson EMP-TW3500
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Anyways, I've got 3 crashes within the last hour, so i thought I'd submit them

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi automationRulez

The crashes are occurring inside igdumd32.dll, which is apparently part of the Intel video driver:

"9/10/2011 10:53:09 PM";"Application Error";"Application Crashing Events";"Error";"The description for Event ID '1000' in Source 'Application Error' cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them. The following information is part of the event:'MediaPortal.exe', '1.1.8.0', '4e511ed0', 'igdumd32.dll', '8.15.10.2361', '4da1fa7d', 'c0000005', '000f4770'";"1000"

Are you using the most up-to-date drivers?
    Have you tried older/newer video drivers?
    Have you tried codecs that don't use hardware acceleration?
    What circumstances did the crashes occur under?

mm

automationRulez

Portal Member
    July 22, 2011
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi mm1352000,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will check to make sure that I do have the most up to date drivers and report back. I will also try and get my hands on older and newer drivers should I have problems with the latest ones. I haven't tried codecs that don't use hardware accelaration and don't know which ones to try. Is there a list somewhere that I can use to find a stable software codec I can use if it comes to it?

Circumstances the led to the crashes:
    I started getting "No signal" for the Maori channel here in NZ. I then checked the strength from the "Channel" section and the Maori channel was 0%. I was using a pretty long cable from a splitter, so I replaced it with a short cable, restarted MediaPortal, went to the channel section again and this time the strength was 3%. Other channels were between 6 and 87%, with the majority being around 60%+. I then tried watching the Maori channel and all was good for about 5 minutes, after which there was a crash. Watchdog opened, I let it do its thing (although I cancelled the automatic restart of MediaPortal and restarted it manually). It restarted fine. I then went to TV. I have the Video autoswitcher plugin installed, which made the TV come on on the Maori channel. It crashed a few seconds later. I went through the Watchdog process again. This time, I did not restart MediaPortal. I first removed a splitter I was using and connected the HTPC direct to the socket in the wall. I then re-tuned all the channels and after that I started MediaPortal. Everything seemed fine for a minute (watch the Maori channel) and then there was another crash. At that point, I decided to report the crashes and switch to normal TV :)

Were all 3 crashes in the video driver?
    Regardless, I will report back once I have tried changing the driver version.
    For anyone else reading this, I'm using the GAZ68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard and installed the drivers from the CD.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Yes, all 3 are attributed to that DLL. In fact, there are ~25 MP crashes recorded (back to 27/8 ~5:40pm), and all except one can be put down to this DLL.

mm

automationRulez

Portal Member
    July 22, 2011
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Downloaded from Intel's website:
    File name:Win7Vista_64_15221.exe
    Version:15.22.1.64.2361
    Date:04/13/2011
    Size:62.97 MB
    Result: crash

Downloaded from Intel's website:
    File name: Win7Vista_64_152113.exe
    Version:15.21.13.64.2342
    Date: 03/29/2011
    Size: 80.43 MB
    Result: crash

Found some info here:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 Windows 7 Crashes
    which led me to:
    I7-2600K Intel HD Graphics (igdkmd64)...
    Which led me to download this driver:
    Intel GMA 15.21.10.2291 - WikiDrivers - Wiki-style resource and guide for device drivers
    Result: no crashes so far from a few quick tests :D. Will report back after a few hours.

:D

PS> I've attached the watchdog reports from the crashes I got.

automationRulez

Portal Member
    July 22, 2011
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    :) Thought so. Unfortunately, I spoke too soon. Got another crash and have attached another watchdog report.

Going to try and see if I can get an older driver. If not, any suggestions on a good software codec?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just hold up the horse for a moment: spotted something in the logs that I want to check up on... will get back to you in a few minutes.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, okay. You didn't have the TsReader in relaxed mode, so that is fine. I should still make it clear that my opinion is that the reason behind the crashing is more likely to be a signal problem than an inherent issue in the Intel driver (aside from the fact that all versions that you've tried so far seem quite susceptible to crashing in the presence of corrupted signal). Certainly one way to combat that is a codec that doesn't use hardware acceleration (I'd go with FFDShow, which is quite resilient to corruption in my experience). The other and probably better way is to fix the problem at the source: to get your aerial cabling, alignment and terminations checked.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom