Replacing MP with Win 8 modern UI (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi.
    And aside this, I don't believe this ugly "pseudo- modern" UI will last too long. It''s really unusable with Mouse /Keyboard and looks like a not really talented little child trying to copy the Android UI... If this really is the future of Windows (I don't believe this), than I'm leaving for Linux. Then Linux is a lot more like Windows as Windows itself...

A little bit off topic, but claiming that Metro won't last too long and that it's a bad copy of Android is just wrong. It's Android that's copying Microsoft, and the fact that both them and a bunch of other projects are moving in the same direction, just look at websites like Engadget and all of Googles websites etc, they're all without a doubt inspired by Microsofts Metro design language.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    OT of course, but Android was available a lot earlier than Metro . Maybe you can say Android has copied Apples iOS (what was the first to have such UI design at all), but Metro no way... MS was the last who "jump of this train" but forgot all those not using touch- devices at work/home.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    First, I thought you were talking about the design language, which is a lot more then just a bunch of incons in a grid. IOS is actually looking really dated due to it's design language, and if I'm not mistaken the guy who is responsible for it is said to make some changes now that Jobs isn't there to hold him back. I mean just look at the Ibook app, why do they need to have the simulated pages on the right part of the screen?

If you weren't I apologize, but if not:

Metro dates back to MCE which was released in 2005 I think, and over time it's been going through changes with Zune, then Windows Phone and now Windows.

And even though the first Android phone dates back to late 2008, the UI has gone through a lot of changes since then, it's not that long ago since they made a big fluff about them updating the UI with what they called "magazine style", which basically looked like a small diversion from the Metro style Microsoft had been working on for many years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, as far as what Mediaportal is concerned, I think it can work very well in pair Windows 8 as long as the developers for Windows 8 apps does their job well. There are some things we probably won't get support for withing Mediaportal, and that is mainly thinks like HBO and sports like NBA, NFL and so on. But if the developers does a good job on their apps for these and makes them work with arrow keys we can launch them from within Mediaportal, and have a solution that offers a complete package.

@SpudR:

The enterprise was never going to go for Windows 8 anyways, not because they think it's bad, but because they've all already moved to Windows 7, or are in process of doing so. Yes the enterprise is where most of Microsofts money comes from, but they move slow, and they don't jump on every OS/office pack that is released, they upgrade their computers every 5-10 years, so they are not expected to upgrade to this version of Windows even if it was gods gift to mankind.

Last edited:

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    #Sorry for OT post #
    I really should introduce you to some of my customers:
    they've all already moved to Windows 7
    In early 2010
    they upgrade their computers every 5-10 years
    Not if they are customers of mine! Usually 3 years MAX, and that's the hardware - not the OS.

The biggest gripes from my customers are the issues around the awful Ui, re-training issues, and not being backwards compatible.
    I think this OS is a right old turkey ;) A huge mistake for MS (trying to follow the perceived trend rather than innovating...)

Last edited by a moderator:

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Companies have been moving to 7 steadily since it's release, large companies like Ford and Korean Air didn't get around to it until the 2nd half of 2011, at which point Ford was running XP with Office 2003. The company I work for is nowhere near those numbers , but only the only ones we have that upgrades every couple of years are the ones that needs the extra horse powers. The larger "standardized" companies runs the same software that they did when they first got their hardware, so there is no point in upgrading their hardware either.

But anyways, for the OTs idea to happen each plugin developer would have to recode their code to WinRT correct? Personally I think the best solution would be a Windows 8 client that can connect to an MP backbone (MPExtended)

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Companies have been moving to 7 steadily since it's release, large companies like Ford and Korean Air didn't get around to it until the 2nd half of 2011, at which point Ford was running XP with Office 2003. The company I work for is nowhere near those numbers , but only the only ones we have that upgrades every couple of years are the ones that needs the extra horse powers. The larger "standardized" companies runs the same software that they did when they first got their hardware, so there is no point in upgrading their hardware either.

But anyways, for the OTs idea to happen each plugin developer would have to recode their code to WinRT correct? Personally I think the best solution would be a Windows 8 client that can connect to an MP backbone (MPExtended)

?????

What not just run the existing MP client in W8????? Lots of people already running MP on W8 even though officially it's not supported yet.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    "For the OT (sorry should've been OPs ) idea to happen"

Personally I think Mediaportal + some Windows 8 apps would create the complete media solution.

Also that wouldn't work on Windows RT.

Btw, shouldn't we get MediaPortal added to the Windows Store, I think that would be the best exposure the project can get.

Last edited:

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hmm, this discussion went in a different driection from what i expected. Win8, good or bad? time will tell, probably rely a lot on devs making good apps for it. But to compare it with ME(crappy unstabile preformance) and Vista(Heavy on resources) is just wrong. Metro is used for SOME apps, not all, and practically none if you don't want to.

What i imagined, was that plugins such as MovingPictures and MyTVSeries were being developed as a standalone Metro app, aligned with HBO, Netflix, Spotify etc on the metro start menu. Then we wouldn't need the MP "launcher" at all. It's a shame to say given all the hard work that lies behind, but truth is that there will never be that good apps for those services like HBO, Netflix, Spotify etc inside MP. Not unless MP becomes so big that they develop the apps/plugins themself for MP. Taking all the code that is already written, i think the way to support for x86/x64 computers are realistic, but RT is probably way down the line.

I'm using Win8 at my HTPC at the moment and enjoying Netflix, waiting for HBO access. Many more apps is on the way, and probably some brilliant ones we never tought of. I honestly havn't tried the remote yet, and i'm pretty sure it doesn't navigate metro out of the box, so there's another challenge. I'm pretty sure that would kick ass :D Merry X-mas :)

foxbenw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2011
    Welwyn Garden City
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I agree. Win8 good or bad is not relevant. If RT doesn't take off now or in the future I guess windows will fade away, and MP is only designed for Windows. If it does take off, Windows 9 or whatever it is will improve the combination of desktop and RT. Either way, it'd be awesome to have an RT client based off MP Extended :)

redpa18t

January 23, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hmm, this discussion went in a different driection from what i expected. Win8, good or bad? time will tell, probably rely a lot on devs making good apps for it. But to compare it with ME(crappy unstabile preformance) and Vista(Heavy on resources) is just wrong. Metro is used for SOME apps, not all, and practically none if you don't want to.

What i imagined, was that plugins such as MovingPictures and MyTVSeries were being developed as a standalone Metro app, aligned with HBO, Netflix, Spotify etc on the metro start menu. Then we wouldn't need the MP "launcher" at all. It's a shame to say given all the hard work that lies behind, but truth is that there will never be that good apps for those services like HBO, Netflix, Spotify etc inside MP. Not unless MP becomes so big that they develop the apps/plugins themself for MP. Taking all the code that is already written, i think the way to support for x86/x64 computers are realistic, but RT is probably way down the line.

I'm using Win8 at my HTPC at the moment and enjoying Netflix, waiting for HBO access. Many more apps is on the way, and probably some brilliant ones we never tought of. I honestly havn't tried the remote yet, and i'm pretty sure it doesn't navigate metro out of the box, so there's another challenge. I'm pretty sure that would kick ass :D Merry X-mas :)

The metro UI can be navigated with a remote or through keyboard controls. That's not the main issue with it. The bigger issue is that the app developers are tailoring their apps to be "touch" oriented. So most of the apps render the remote control useless. Perhaps they'll update them down the line to be more remote or keyboard friendly, but as of now, they simply don't work that well on at the ten foot level.

I too had the same vision initially with Windows 8, thinking I would be able to open and navigate all the apps with my remote. I think the Metro UI has a lot of potential for the HTPC market. But it's still such a small market that the funding and development just isn't there for someone to build the product necessary. Now if the big money developers of the Netflix or HBO apps make them more remote friendly, then we're on to something. Until then, it's just a dream...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom