Request: Education thread on Advanced Audio in MePo (1 Viewer)

griffindodd

Portal Pro
March 28, 2009
I thought I'd request that some of the more advanced users help out those of us who are less familiar with the configuration and understanding of some of the more complex music playback options in MePo.

Some of the subjects that may benefit from a beginners guide

AISO
AISO seems very popular but also quite confusing for many people (myself included). How is it beneficial and what would be a basic beginners guide to getting AISO set up and running.

DTS/DVDA/Multi-channel Playback
I've seen many people asking about getting this working well, and especially problems with the deadly 'hissing'. Perhaps someone could construct a good basic guide to listening to these files, how to tag them properly etc.

If anyone else has any advanced subjects they would like to see collected here they can post and I will update the request list.

Thanks in advance to anyone who writes some helpful advice for others to benefit from.

Joel

AISO - Why use it...

ASIO can bypass windows kmixer and send the stream directly to the sound card (kmixer resamples everything to 16bit/44.1k, which is fine for mp3s, since they sound like junk anyway. But if you're listening to 24 bit / 48k samples, or even uncompressed 16bit 44,1k samples, kmixer degrades the sound quality a lot).

Aside from kmixer, the sample passes through a lot of hassle, and gets degraded on each step: first it goes to directsound, then to kmixer, that resample's it and mixes in all other windows sounds, then to the kernel, then to the sound card mixer, and finally to the sound card itself.

ASIO goes directly from the player to the sound card's mixer, then to the hardware

Another more extreme option (for 0db gain, 10Kohm sound output) is to disable the soundcard altogether in windows and use just ASIO. That way the sample goes directly to the soundcard, untouched.

(more to come hopefully)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom