[Request}Small, and a must-have feature (1 Viewer)

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi

I have just loaded MP after a long break. I have installed 0.2.3 RC1 and have attempted to get my music directory into the fine music player. Almost certainly due to incompetaence on my part - I too am struggling to get .wav file titles to appear.

My directory structure is

d:\music\artist_name\album_name\title_of_song.wav

(I have no tagged mp3 files, only .wav files). I know there are means of compressing audio but I like the sound of uncompressed data and hard disks are near free.

MP shows artist name ok, album name ok and lists the x tracks under each album name as "unknown -"

I have edited the format box under the custom path and filename tab to read

%artist%\%album%\%title%

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Kev

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Im not sure. I haven't got a single wav since 320KB MP3 is as good as equal in sound quality. But if you like ucompressed audio...try flac. It's smaller and quality is equal to wav or maybe even better.

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
Many thanks Bram but 320kB MP3 isn't equal to .wav on my setups - my ears are quite clear on this issue :) - but each to his own. Cant imagine flac is better than wav in terms of sound quality but it might be equal. Any way I digress. I hope this title thing its just an error on my part. I probably need to tick the - just make it work box (which I haven't found yet.)

Kev

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
Have been thinking more about this song tiltle = "unknown -" issue.

Do I have to edit the views in the config app. to change "title" to "filename" ???

Kev

jms969

Portal Member
May 12, 2006
I am running newest version of MP, 0.2.2.0 and when I enter My music and browse through my music, saved in wav format for best quality, it won't give me any info, allthough other programs can view it. The music is sorted like this

c:\music\artist\album\tracknumber - trackname.wav

so it shouldn't really be a problem to find the name of the track. I suggest that when MP can't find any ID-tags it should display the filename(minus the fileextension) instead of just showing it as unknown. This is a small little addition to the code that could be easaly added.

Thanks for a great software.:)

No offence meant, but WAV is the most wastefull way of storing music.

Even if you're crazy enough to think you can hear the difference between a 320kb mp3 and the original, FLAC is lossless compression and is built into BASS. It will save you over half your disc space for absolutely no loss in sound quality.

Plus if you use mp3, flac or another encoded format you will be able to tag the files and slice and dice them as you wish with the view function in not only MP but any other application as well...

Remember meticulous tagging is your friend.

Cheers,

JMS

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom