Resetting MCE remote (1 Viewer)

misterp

Portal Member
November 28, 2005
Perth, Australia
Not quite sure if this is a difficult tip to work out, but thought it good to share with others who have the same problem.

I managed to crash my MCE remote the other night. No lights, no tranmission, no nothing.
It was in learning mode when it crashed.

Was going to take it back to the shop the next day, but left it with the batteries out over night.
Plugged them back in the next day and all worked again!

So, in good old Microsoft tradition....if it crashes, then reboot it!

HIH

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    That's a very good tip. I already knew about it, but it never occurred to me to post it here. ood thinking :)

(stupid Microsoft)

Koschel

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2005
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To restore the default remote control settings
    1 Press and hold the DVD MENU button and LEFT navigation button at the same time
    until the remote control for Media Center PC lights turn off.
    2 Press the OK button.
    The remote control for Media Center PC lights blink twice to confirm that the buttons
    have been reset. The TV button will have no command assigned to it and the VOL +
    and VOL – buttons will adjust the Media Center PC system volume.
    If the default settings were not restored, the lights blink quickly four times. To try again, repeat steps 1 and 2.

tkortell

Portal Pro
    April 13, 2005
    Vaasa / Sulva
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hmm, I dropped my MCE remote and it was dead, maybe this would have helped me? Maybe not... Anyway I returned it to the store and got a new one free of charge :)

Regards // Tomas

Confusedpenguin

Portal Member
    December 20, 2005
    UK
    If anyone is having trouble getting the MCE remote to learn volume and power commands for an external amp etc. I recommend you do it in a very dark room.

I spent ages trying to get it to learn my Yamaha AV receiver, with varying degrees of success (mostly where it would learn the button but not respond very well to presses). Once I let it learn the codes in the dark, it was much better.

cinemasid

Portal Member
    February 3, 2006
    one for all remote

i don't have the media center remote as yet but i plan on using my touchscreen remote and learning the media center remote to this as like some of you have said i don't trust the microsoft remote to work reliably.

i use this remote:
    http://ws1.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-M1PLUSBACKLIT

i've found this too be a great piece of kit means you can control your tv, amp, dvd player, stereo, digi box and media center on one cool remote :) i hope this helps you guys.

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Learn something new everyday.
    I got my MCE remote cheap and nasty, plain OEM version with no documentation and drivers. Reading this thread I just learned that its a learning/programmable remote.

Went looking on the M$ website for the user guide, but getting nowhere.
    Can somebody e-mail me the user guide / programming guide if this is available in digital format.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    guytpetj said:
    Can somebody e-mail me the user guide
    Its on its way to you.....have fun... :)

hmass

Portal Member
    August 22, 2005
    Like guytpetj I also bought my remote OEM, I am keen to learn how to program the remote. I would be very grateful if someone could email me a copy of the manual.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom