[no Bug] resolution resizes when playing video with internal player (1 Viewer)

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
September 21, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC1
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: 7 32
CPU Type:
HDD:
Memory:
Motherboard:
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: ATI Hybrid TV Wonder 600
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver: Latest Catalyst (10.3)
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV: Mitsubishi WD-65C9
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Ok I have a problem that I THINK started happening when I moved from MP 1.1.0 BETA1 to 1.1.0 RC1 but I can't say for sure.

My HTPC's resolution fits my TV perfectly - ATI autoconfigured it and its always been fine. I have it set to that ATI will only change resolutions when I manually select to in the catalyst control center. However, I notice now EVERY time I play a movie file (MKV, don't have any other file types so I'm not sure), with MP's internal player, it immediately shrinks the resolution slightly so there is a 1" or so black border all the way around the screen. The kicker is, if I then stop the playback and even exit mediaportal, the black border/resolution switch stays there! The only way to get it to go away is to remove the HDMI cable and plug it back in.

This never happened before 1.1.0RC1. Just before installing 1.1.0RC1 I also added the ATI TV Wonder card into the system but it didn't install a new version of catalyst, already had the latest version. I don't even use the TV server at the moment.

Is there a known issue with 1.1.0RC1 or a config option somewhere? This is extremely aggravating as it completely affects everything else I do on the HTPC as soon as I start playing a movie.

Edit: Adding some info - I tried turning off the dynamic refresh rate changer, and the problem went away. I never had this issue with the dynamic refresh rate changer on the same TV/HTPC/etc with MP 1.1.0BETA1, any ideas?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Edit: Adding some info - I tried turning off the dynamic refresh rate changer, and the problem went away. I never had this issue with the dynamic refresh rate changer on the same TV/HTPC/etc with MP 1.1.0BETA1, any ideas?

Make sure all display modes in CCC are using exactly same settings (only difference should be the refresh rate).

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks, I just opened CCC HDTV custom resolutions for some reason there there is a custom resolution for both 1920x1080p60 and 1920x1080p24 in addition to the standard resolutions. However, I can't remove any of them! I don't get it, the remove button is greyed out on ALL of the resolutions. This is super annoying. Any idea how to remove these custom resolutions??

Actually I now have the opposite problem too - I turned Dynamic Refresh control back on but now when I play a movie that changes the refresh to 24hz the desktop gets far too large so when I'm fast forwarding/etc, the menus are all halfway off the screen! Grrr not sure whats happening or why. I tried making a custom 1920x1080p24 resolution to fit everything to the screen, which worked and then let me delete the 'optimized' for 1080p24, but when MP changes the refresh to 24hz it seems to just use the "default" 1920x1080p24 which has everything off-screen.

The weird thing is everything worked 100% fine until I added the TV Tuner (which included a catalyst driver install) and upgraded to MP 1.1.0RC1 so I have no idea which one actually broke it.

Doing a little more investigation now - when it switches to 1080p24 the actual video seems to line up OK (doesn't seem like the video is off-screen at all, just the mp overlay where i can't see how far into the movie I am or the time, if I'm fast forwarding/etc).

Any ideas on this?

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Nevermind, issue fixed. I had to go change my resolution in CCC to 1080p24, then readjust my overscan value, then back to 1080p60 and adjust that one, separately. All working now, though I have no idea why it broke itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom