Restart MediaPortal on resume (1 Viewer)

Infidelus

Portal Pro
August 12, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.1
MediaPortal Skin: Blue 3 Wide
Windows Version: Windows 7 X64
CPU Type: AM2
HDD:
Memory: 4GB DDR2
Motherboard: Asus M2N4-SLI
Video Card: Radeon HD 4350
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 10.3
Sound Card: Realtek AC97
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: 6.0.1.6293
1. TV Card: KWorld PC160-2T
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: V9.603.1
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Microsoft MCE
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: Sub-D

Been having problems with MediaPortal on both release candidates.

System is set for S3 standby, and MediaPortal is set to resume on restart. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I can't get MP to restart on resume. The same thing is happening on three machines I've tested it on (with both NVidia and ATI cards), so I'm either missing something blindingly obvious, or there's a real problem with the way restart works ... or doesn't as the case may be.

At the moment I'm having to use MST to make MP resume, but I'd rather not have to use an additional 3rd party tool just for that purpose if MP is supposed to be able to do it.

Anyone have any ideas of things I can check/test?

craigparris1

Portal Pro
May 20, 2008
Home Country
I think if you post your logs covering a sleep and resume then that will be helpful. For example, there would be questions like "how is the PC getting into S3 (Tv-Server or client)?", does the server wake itself OK for things like recordings/EPG, etc.?

It's a heck of a lot easier to investigate those things with logs to look at ......

Cheers,
Craig

Infidelus

Portal Pro
August 12, 2006
Home Country
I didn't post logs because this was a clean Windows install and because it's consistent from every machine I've tried it on so far, so I've made an assumption that it must be happening to someone else (hence the general query).

The current machine I'm playing with is Win 7 X64 and MediaPortal is set just as a player. It's not enabled for live TV (no TV Server install), purely for watching recordings.

romuz said:
What exacly happens when system resumes? What is not working?

When MP resumes from S3, one of two things happens. Either:

You'll see MP briefly there, then it will close and fail to restart

or

You'll be greeted with the Windows desktop with no indication that it had previously been running.

As mentioned, this is consistent across three independent machines and the only common denominator is me installing MP, MP itself and they're all Windows 7 machines. I've tried 32 and 64 bit with the same result.

I'll grab some logs from the newest machine in a short while and attach them to this thread.

vecnar

Portal Pro
April 21, 2008
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi,
I would say you should upload C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\restart.vbs file.
It looks to me that vbscript either failed to kill mediaportal process or failed to start mediaportal as the last entry in restart.vbs.log file is "Executing "taskkill /T /F /IM MediaPortal.exe"
Can you do a test as following:
Start MP, open command prompt and type there "taskkill /T /F /IM MediaPortal.exe" and press enter button. Your mediaportal window should close. Let us know if it closed.
I am not running mp on windows 7 but could it be due to UAC (user account control)? try disabling it and run MP as administrator.

fromaron

Portal Pro
October 18, 2007
Home Country
I can confirm exactly the same problem on Win7 32 Bit Home Premium machine running 1.1.0.0RC1.
I think vecnar is right here 100%. If you turn your TV on before restarting MP from S3 mode you might be able to notice the MediaPortal screen is up for a split second and then closes. There is no restart though. For whatever reason (at least) my PC goes to sleep before MP process is killed. Probably changing the script (timers?) will help the issue. Interesting enough if I press green button on my MS MCE remote the MediaPortal will start (I don't have the option enabled in the MediaPortal configuration).

vecnar

Portal Pro
April 21, 2008
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi fromaron,
If you say that application was showing up for a split seccond then it means that taskkill is working but i think vbscript is not completing till the end and that is why mp doesn't start. Could you post restart.vbs.log and restart.vbs files.

craigparris1

Portal Pro
May 20, 2008
Home Country
It would be interesting to see if everyone who restarts MediaPortal after resume runs "tskill" or "taskkill"? I'll have to check my own setup and see, cause I definitely restart MP after resume and it works OK.

The reason I ask is that the /T parameter on "taskkill" tells it to kill all child processes initiated by MediaPortal also ..... wouldn't this kill the scripting instance that's running the restart script? If so, then it's not going to carry on to the command that starts MediaPortal again.

Definitely in the OP's restart.vbs.log it states that "tskill" could not be found, so it's using "taskkill" ..... in theory, there's no reason why "tskill" shouldn't exist.

All those who use "restart MediaPortal after resume", check your restart.vbs.log file and post which command is used for the kill.

Cheers,
Craig

Infidelus

Portal Pro
August 12, 2006
Home Country
Thanks for the replies

Running taskkill /T /F /IM MediaPortal.exe gives the following response

SUCCESS: The process with PID 2756 (child process of PID 3452) has been terminated.

I also ran restart.vbs manually and it did start MediaPortal, so I don't think it's a UAC problem.

Log entry for restart.vbs

Code:
23/04/2010-15:47:12: Starting "restart.vbs" with "C:\Windows\System32\WScript.exe" (v. 5.8)
23/04/2010-15:47:12: Looking for "tskill.exe" in "C:\Windows\System32"
23/04/2010-15:47:12: "tskill.exe" not found 
23/04/2010-15:47:12: Kill utility will be "taskkill"
23/04/2010-15:47:12: Executing "taskkill /T /F /IM MediaPortal.exe"
23/04/2010-15:47:13: Killed  "MediaPortal" (Exit code=0)
23/04/2010-15:47:13: Executing "MediaPortal"
23/04/2010-15:47:13: Started "MediaPortal" (Exit code=0)

restart.vbs attached

[edit]PS tskill.exe only exists in C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-t..es-commandlinetools_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_40a54b0d12b542e8 on both the machines I've just looked at

Attachments

• restart.vbs.zip
    30.6 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom