[Pending] Restart MP when exit Config (1 Viewer)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    i have added checkbox to Config, for Restart MP when exit config ( available for OK and Cancel button )

for now, the checkbox is always unchecked ! use last setting is not added, i don't know if we need this !

i don't know, if i shoudl add an delay after Config close for start MP

Binary file added : please use it for test only ...

V2 : 2013 07 17
    Correct space position in VS
    add delay of 1000 ms before start MP

Attachments

• Configuration v2.rar
      1.1 MB
    • Restart MP in config V2.patch
      18.3 KB
    Last edited:

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I'm sorry to say but it looks a bit clumsy...

Also why do we need such an option? There are already too many options all over the place...

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    yes, i know but as i use MP as Shell is easy for me to start MP from config, because you can already acces to config with F2 but not the reverse !

and i'm not dev for do better .... ( i prefer have an small checkbox than nothing)

Last edited:

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I thought the Config program closed MePo when it was launched?

J.

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa

Also why do we need such an option? There are already too many options all over the place...

I second this option. Just because it simplifies a process that is repeated hundreds of times during configuration of a MePo setup: Start MP -> Decide to change settings -> Close MP & Run Config (F2) -> Edit Settings -> Close Settings -> Locate Shortcut -> Run MP -> Check Result -> [repeat]

Also HTPC setups normally have limited controls, so simple actions become dreadful tasks, like finding the shortcut on your start menu when you have MePo setup to "run at startup" and you have removed all shortcuts on the desktop and taskbar, using a keyboard only, "air mouse", "remote mouse".

It would also not be strange if the config was 'n fullscreen windows application with large distant readable font.[DOUBLEPOST=1374130705][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hi,
    i have added checkbox to Config...

I believe this is more a "proof of concept" patch. We need to evaluate what option would be most valued:
    1. Keyboard shortcut only
    2. Alternate "Save & Run" button only
    3. On/Off Checkbox to remember last choice only
    4. Combination of the above.
    5. All of the above.
    For the patch to be considered it would have to feel "natural" for most of the Dev Managers. Otherwise it will just be chucked.

This is a very small patch, it does not even influence/alter any other code, and it improves the usage experience, or can be ignored. So it should be a no-brainer. But I'm surprised at how opinions differ! :cool:

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland

I second this option. Just because it simplifies a process that is repeated hundreds of times during configuration of a MePo setup: Start MP -> Decide to change settings -> Close MP & Run Config (F2) -> Edit Settings -> Close Settings -> Locate Shortcut -> Run MP -> Check Result -> [repeat]

Also HTPC setups normally have limited controls, so simple actions become dreadful tasks, like finding the shortcut on your start menu when you have MePo setup to "run at startup" and you have removed all shortcuts on the desktop and taskbar, using a keyboard only, "air mouse", "remote mouse".

Settings are already built-in in MP GUI, we should put effort on that and not add hacks to simplify some trial and error use cases..

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    About the feature:

I don't think we should include such feature since it is a really niche use case - no options should be added for the really limited use cases, otherwise we will end up in a really complex configuration (MP already is a monster when it comes to the user config). Also it is possible to have such functionality already:
    1. With MCE remote you just need to press GREEN button and you can open MP process. This probably is possible with other remotes that allow some configuration. And for non-programmable remotes it is possible to use some 3rd party tool.
    2. You could rename configuration.exe to something else and then create a .bat file that opens first config and then after it closes MP.
    Also you have the mouse most likely at the hand when you are about to modify settings in the non-UI tool, so probably the keyboard is as well avilable so - press CTRL-ALT-DEL and run taskmanager from there.

About the patch:

1. Lot ofcode formatting present in the patch - ionly fucntional changes should be in. Formatting changes should be provided in a separate patch if they really are wanted. This reduces the possible conflicts with the other patches, features, fixes (== commits :))
    2. Some unnescessary code movement - these shouldn't be done, not even a separate patch as there is no reason to do those.
    3. Added useless empty lines
    4. Non-safe code with the sleep waits. A proper waiting should be used - there is no quarantee that one second is something magic and allows the configuration process to exit before MP process is started.
    5. Copy & paste code - cbRestartMPWhenExit.Checked and the exit functionality should be a new method.
    6. RestartMediaPortalWhenExit() method is a thread starting point. It must be handling all the exeptions or otherwise it will be possible to crash to desk to (not a big issue since application is already about to exit - but we dont want to have any system event entries of configuration crashing)..
    7. SettingsForm.resx was changed, why?

sorry for the naging, I just woke up :p

Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    so - press CTRL-ALT-DEL and run taskmanager from there.
    i use it, not user friendly .....

With MCE remote you just need to press GREEN button and you can open MP process
    I use IRSS, and i will use translator too ( should be set)

Lot ofcode formatting present in the patch
    Some unnescessary code movement
    i don't know why formatting has changed ...

Non-safe code with the sleep waits
    sleep was the only function found on internet ...

Copy & paste code
    method is a thread starting point.
    sorry tourettes, i don't understand

SettingsForm.resx was changed, why?
    Auto ! i don't have editing this file !

sorry for the naging, I just woke up
    no problem, ;)
    i don't know if Team want this "feature", for me is missing in MP
    why an checkbox instead of button, because you can use Restart MP also if you cancel the changes !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom