Tools and other software Ripping DVDs (1 Viewer)

1stdead

Portal Pro
February 1, 2008
Copenhagen
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
MeGui is a great program that is updated very regularly.

I have ripped many tv shows/dvds into the x264/AAC format and the amount of freedom you have with config is amazing (a bit like MP really). I always use the "filesize" method and it always encodes spot on.

Hope you have a fast system tho, good quality 2 pass encodes take a fair while compared to AutoGK.

Megui allows Xvid encodes also, but I generally just use AutoGK for them

Why do Xvid if x264 exits and you're using a htpc?

apoptygma

Portal Pro
November 14, 2008
Adelaide
Home Country
Why do Xvid if x264 exits and you're using a htpc?

Primarily because other family members have only set-top players which play only Mpeg-4 but I agree, h264 if it's for one's own use.

Going back to what others were saying, of the 5-6 programs I used on my day of application trialing meGUI was probably the hardest to configure. It's not much simpler than the command line x264 option :confused:

Theodor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2005
    Løten
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I don't believe either of the applications that you mention, handbrake.fr or AutoGK, have a DVD function. These are both applications that can be used to compress the video file into another format and hence reduce the overall file size. Both are good, however I do favour handbrake at the moment to re-encode videos.

If you are looking for DVD ripping tools then look at DVD Decryptor, DVDFab or my favourite Ripit4me.

I agree. DVDfab is my favorite. Easy to use, many options and good quality :)

jasonmorriso

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I've tried AGK, GK, MeGui and a bunch of bought ones. Handbrake is my favorite, in terms of quality and ease of use.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Don't really do Xvid anymore, but if I did, I would still use AutoGK

Ive just finished ripping my kids' entire dvd collection to hard disk. I found autogk got the job done a lot quicker than handbrake, but it produced more oos issues. Handbrake was more reliable in this regard. Not an issue if you're someone who doesnt mind getting into virtualdub and syncing the audio but personally I couldnt be bothered and wore the extra processing time with handbrake for the sake of simplicity.

Interesting to see no-one has suggested media slayer in this thread. Looks like a good solution if you want to do the work in the mp interface. I havent tried it though so cant recommend it personally.

jsimo01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you have AnyDVD then using it with DVDDecrypter you can output the full movie and a chapters file, Using x264 offers better compressibility and the .mkv container can handle chapters and subtitles.

jsimo01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    From what I can see it just puts the video file in an .mkv container, doesn't re-encode at all, so you don't actually save any disc space at all.

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    From what I can see it just puts the video file in an .mkv container, doesn't re-encode at all, so you don't actually save any disc space at all.

You are right! For re-encoding and saving disc space i use Handbrake (unusual)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom