Ripping shoutcast streams (allmost tips and tricks) (1 Viewer)

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Who is looking for a new programming challenge?

Not even sure if it is possible.
    WMP does not display the titles.
    Would be nice to have the title diplayed.

That is what I found on the sourcforge streamripper homepage in the FAQ:

Q: How does Streamripper get the track data/meta-data from Shoutcast streams?
    A: I would really like to spend a day or two and write a formal doc on how this works. But the skinny is that for every x bytes (specified by the meta-int HTTP field) Shoutcast servers send the track data. If the track hasn't changed it sends a NULL byte. If there is track data you'll get a number > 0, which is the length of the meta data divided by 16. The multiplier is so they can fit the size within one byte. The meta-data field has two fields "StreamTitle" and "StreamURL". StreamURL IMO is useless, however the StreamTitle is the track name, and is used to make the separate tracks.

tomtom21000

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    O.K. I had a closer look at the sourceforge open source project streamripper.

It has the following very appealing features:

#Fetches shoutcast radio stations from shoutcast webpage
    # selectable for genre
    # bitrate displayed
    # artist / title display of played song
    # ripping to mp3 with automatic track splitting and filling id3tags
    # possible to record and listen through mediaplayer at the same time

there is a lib which probably means one could make another gui or integrate it in mp in the future.
    it is startable via myprograms, but certainly hard/impossible to read on screen (have only tried on desktop so far)
    It is not a winamp plugin. it is a stand-alone application and it starts streams in WindowsMediaPlayer on my PC.

If you want to try:
    1 click refresh button to get stations
    5 go to "more options" (important!!!) and change user agent name to anything else u like (many stations won´t let u rip their stream with the standard name in the field)
    1a doubleclick on station choose one of the servers
    1b don´t forget to specify a destination to save the mp3´s
    3 press "start rip"
    4 press "connect to relay" to listen to the music in WMP (I think it opened up WMP when I tried, however might be necessary to start WMP beforehand)
    -> this is also why it is not really tips and tricks: I assume it won´t play the stream in MediaPortal but open a WMP window. Haven´t tested though yet.
    2 there you see the currently played title (not all stations send the necessary meta-info)

tomtom21000

description and download is here:
    http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/sr32/#Updates

mp-streamripper.jpg

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hie Tomtom,

hehe, i am currently considering to put Shoutcast into My Radio. But i do not know if i find the time this week. It is not to difficult. I will report in the next week.

Flip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom