Rockstar - the ultimate online music plugin (Spotify&Grooveshark&Rdio) (3 Viewers)

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi,

Great addin but one question. We use it to play Spotify through a high quality sound system. Spotify is set to play high quality music. However, when we play through media portal rockstar, the quality is poorer.

Is it possible to configure rockstar to used the high quality feed from Spotify or are there other reasons why the quality it not as good as using the Spotify client itself.

Thoughts appreciated
    Paul

Rockstar sets Spotify bitrate to 320k automatically, there are no other quality related settings in libspotify API so I don't know how to improve this.

irelandp

Portal Member
    September 25, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for getting back so quickly. That is strange, it appears as though the 320k bit rate is the "High Quality Streaming rate". I wonder if other sound effects are being applied by Mediaportal. It sounds like a bass emphasis is being applied relative to the sound being produced by the Spotify client itself. I would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Regards
    Paul

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks for getting back so quickly. That is strange, it appears as though the 320k bit rate is the "High Quality Streaming rate". I wonder if other sound effects are being applied by Mediaportal. It sounds like a bass emphasis is being applied relative to the sound being produced by the Spotify client itself. I would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Regards
    Paul

Have you tried WASAPI mode instead of BASS Engine which can be set in MP Configuration -> Music -> Player?

irelandp

Portal Member
    September 25, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the advice. Tried this and it completely broke mediaportal. The client stopped when loading the plugins. I completely uninstalled mediaportal, deleting all the settings, then reinstalled. It now works fine with the BASS engine.

I originally had setup mediaportal using terminal services. It is easier than trying to do things on a large TV screen which is the default monitor for my media centre PC. I think it must have been something to do with the settings no carrying across the from the virtual to the real terminal.

Thanks again
    Paul

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks for the advice. Tried this and it completely broke mediaportal. The client stopped when loading the plugins. I completely uninstalled mediaportal, deleting all the settings, then reinstalled. It now works fine with the BASS engine.

I originally had setup mediaportal using terminal services. It is easier than trying to do things on a large TV screen which is the default monitor for my media centre PC. I think it must have been something to do with the settings no carrying across the from the virtual to the real terminal.

Thanks again
    Paul

Yes there are things you should not configure using Remote Desktop, including all that is related to displays and audio.

The Doctor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you run Spotify desktop in the background on your mediaportal-pc, you can play your music directly via Spotify and use your phone or tablet to select all features Spotify has to offer. Master volume is still controlled by the computer, so you can use your remote to contol the volume. As an added option you can even control the volume of the Spotify desktop client with your phone/tablet.

By doing so you bypass Mediaportal. And you gain the ability to play radio, toplists etc............... The best part is : mediaportal stays on top so no one sees the spotify client. :)

ps. the desktopclient does the streaming so there is no streaming from you phone/tablet to the media-pc. (like airplay)

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Would like to raise WIMP/TIDAL support once again. It would be very nice to have such HIFI quality music stream supported in MP.
    There is WIMP plugin in KODI already and it is working perfectly. I am using Mediaportal in the main room on HTPC with high quality audio setup, so hifi quality of stream is very welcome. It is too tricky workaround to use with airplay, it just don't work always when needed :)

jackjson

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Would like to raise WIMP/TIDAL support once again. It would be very nice to have such HIFI quality music stream supported in MP.

Have a look at my post from 2011:
    The current Spotify implementation seem to be SharpSpot (#Spot - Spotify for .NET).
    Maybe you should consider giving credits to all the GPLed libraries you have used, such as SharpSpot, DnDns, SharpZipLib, Mentalis.org's DiffieHellman, XML-RPC, etc?
    Also, please comply with GPL and release the source code.
    If you start giving back, maybe I even give you my WIMP lib for C#...

I have a pure .NET (and a pure javascript) lib for WiMP, including all functionality of the official client.
    However, WiMP does not seem to endorse the public release of such code.

Ministerk

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • November 28, 2007
    Uppsala
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Grooveshark shutting down permanently.

Dear music fans,

Today we are shutting down Grooveshark.

We started out nearly ten years ago with the goal of helping fans share and discover music. But despite best of intentions, we made very serious mistakes. We failed to secure licenses from rights holders for the vast amount of music on the service.

That was wrong. We apologize. Without reservation.

As part of a settlement agreement with the major record companies, we have agreed to cease operations immediately, wipe clean all the data on our servers and hand over ownership of this website, our mobile apps and intellectual property, including our patents and copyrights.

At that time of our launch, few music services provided the experience we wanted to offer and think you deserve. Fortunately, that's no longer the case. There are now hundreds of fan friendly, affordable services available for you to choose from, including Spotify, Deezer, Google Play, Beats Music, Rhapsody and Rdio, among many others.

If you love music and respect the artists, songwriters and everyone else who makes great music possible, use a licensed service that compensates artists and other rights holders. You can find out more about the many great services available where you live here: http://whymusicmatters.com/find-music.

It has been a privilege getting to know so many of you and enjoying great music together. Thank you for being such passionate fans.

Yours in music,
    Your friends at Grooveshark
    April 30, 2015

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom