RTP Stream Freezes After a Few Minutes (1 Viewer)

Alex@Avenview

Portal Member
October 19, 2017
Home Country
Canada Canada
The logs don't appear to show the stream stopping or anything else like that. Since you're multi-casting, can you run VLC on the same stream to confirm that the issue isn't at the appliance end (eg. encoder failing).
I use VLC to make sure the appliance is working correctly. It's always worked properly. If it supported timeshifting I'd be using that.

Forgot to set the server log verbosity. This time it froze right after I opened the stream. I'm noticing (since I have to use Task Manager to kill MP) that even when it's frozen it's still using 25% of the CPU: Wikisend: free file sharing service

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I use VLC to make sure the appliance is working correctly. It's always worked properly. If it supported timeshifting I'd be using that.
    Okay, here's the thing: I don't see the fact that VLC works as an indicator that the appliance is perfect and blameless. Sure, it's working well enough for VLC to be able to play a stream... but that wasn't what I asked. I asked what happens when VLC and MP are hooked up on the same stream.

Also, I should say I see a few unusual things in the log files:
    [2017-10-23 16:44:43,566] [0C06B060] [1504] - DeMultiplexer: 30 new video format, 1920x1080 @ 0:0, 27.027Hz progressive

[2017-10-23 16:35:22,367] [0BEC0FF8] [1634] - demux:GetVideoStreamType(), FPS from DTS/PTS failed, DTSdiff/PTSdiff/MPEG2 = inf/0.016278/0.000000, DTS/PTS count = 0/14

In other words: it looks like the time encoding for the stream may have some issues. Time encoding is crucial.

This time it froze right after I opened the stream.
    What is "it"?
    Please try to clearly distinguish between the stream freezing (ie. video decoding stops but MP is still responsive) and MP freezing (ie. MP is unresponsive).

...that even when it's frozen it's still using 25% of the CPU
    You have a quad core CPU, so that likely means MP is using 100% of one core.

In an earlier reply I asked:
    The screenshot of the LAV settings shows that you're using "DXVA2 (copy-back)" hardware acceleration. That's a little unusual. Do you have a reason for that choice? If not, I'd recommend switching over to "DXVA2 (native)".

Please could you comment/reply on the above.

Alex@Avenview

Portal Member
    October 19, 2017
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Okay, here's the thing: I don't see the fact that VLC works as an indicator that the appliance is perfect and blameless.

It's 99.9% likely that the appliance is the issue. I'm hoping for the 0.1% that there's something in MP I can change.

Sure, it's working well enough for VLC to be able to play a stream... but that wasn't what I asked. I asked what happens when VLC and MP are hooked up on the same stream.

VLC is running continuously, never had a hiccup.

[2017-10-23 16:44:43,566] [0C06B060] [1504] - DeMultiplexer: 30 new video format, 1920x1080 @ 0:0, 27.027Hz progressive

[2017-10-23 16:35:22,367] [0BEC0FF8] [1634] - demux:GetVideoStreamType(), FPS from DTS/PTS failed, DTSdiff/PTSdiff/MPEG2 = inf/0.016278/0.000000, DTS/PTS count = 0/14

In other words: it looks like the time encoding for the stream may have some issues. Time encoding is crucial.

That's good, I'll send that to the software engineers.

What is "it"?
    Please try to clearly distinguish between the stream freezing (ie. video decoding stops but MP is still responsive) and MP freezing (ie. MP is unresponsive).

MP has always become unresponsive when the stream freezes. I've always had to kill it with Task Manager.

You have a quad core CPU, so that likely means MP is using 100% of one core.

Obviously, can't beleive I didn't make that connection. It's still currious how the core is pinned even when the stream stops.

In an earlier reply I asked:

I was experimenting with hardware decoding under the thinking that my computer wasn't powerful enough. I've set it to default for all further testing.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MP has always become unresponsive when the stream freezes. I've always had to kill it with Task Manager.
    Hmmm, I remember you saying:
    Edit: I was mistaken, the media controls are responsive. I'm able to rewind and it will play from that point up to where it originally froze.

Hence my confusion. If the media controls are responsive, MP is not [fully] frozen. More likely: something in the playback chain is spinning wheels.

It's still currious how the core is pinned even when the stream stops.
    The video decoder would be a neat explanation for what you're seeing, hence the questions/comments about LAV and/or video decoder.

I was experimenting with hardware decoding under the thinking that my computer wasn't powerful enough. I've set it to default for all further testing.
    To be clear: "DXVA2 (native)" is what I'd recommend, and that's hardware decoding enabled.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Alex - can you make a short recording (2-3 minutes is enough) of the stream and attach it here please?

Also, can you record the stream for a long time - does that work OK, or does the recording stop early (like live play)? If you can make a long recording, does playback 'freeze' after a while, or play through to the end?

Alex@Avenview

Portal Member
    October 19, 2017
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Alex - can you make a short recording (2-3 minutes is enough) of the stream and attach it here please?

Also, can you record the stream for a long time - does that work OK, or does the recording stop early (like live play)? If you can make a long recording, does playback 'freeze' after a while, or play through to the end?

Hi Owlsroost, thanks for helping out. The short recording is here: Recorded TV.zip
    I just tried recording for 10 minutes...when played in MP it consistently freezes at about 20 seconds in. Media controls are responsive until I click something, then it locks up. One time I was able to fast forward until it froze. VLC plays the recording fine.

I've so far tried changing the decoder used to the Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder but the issue persists. I then tried changing the output resolution of the streaming appliance to 720p@60 and it appears to work now. From the log entries mm pointed out, it would seem that the appliance isn't outputting a proper stream and MP is getting hung up on it. I can't rightly recall, and ultimately it wouldn't work for my needs, but I think when I had the appliance set to unicast mode it streamed without freezing.

I'm also wondering if the switch used is the problem, as the last time I had it streaming consistently I was using a different switch. Right now I'm using a Netgear Prosafe XS712T. Before I was using a Cisco SG 300-52. Both are configured for multicast, (IGMP, multicast enabled)

VLC is usually running in the background, so I know that the stream itself is still going. I'm also monitoring with Wireshark.

Any advice is appreciated.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I can confirm that the sample freezes after about 30 seconds.

TsReader.ax (the .ts 'splitter' filter in MP) appears to just stop processing/hang internally, but I haven't had time to do any real debugging of the problem yet.

I then tried changing the output resolution of the streaming appliance to 720p@60 and it appears to work now.

A 720p@60 recording sample would be useful as well for comparison.

Alex@Avenview

Portal Member
    October 19, 2017
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I can confirm that the sample freezes after about 30 seconds.

TsReader.ax (the .ts 'splitter' filter in MP) appears to just stop processing/hang internally, but I haven't had time to do any real debugging of the problem yet.

A 720p@60 recording sample would be useful as well for comparison.

Here is a section of the timeshift buffer at 720p: live3-0.ts.tsbuffer5.ts

A new recording I just made: manual - Test - 2017-10-25.zip

Alex@Avenview

Portal Member
    October 19, 2017
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Is there anything else in the logs that I'm missing? I'd like to send the software team hard evidence that the stream itself is the issue.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I haven't had much time to debug the TsReader behaviour further, other than to confirm your findings (1080p freezes, 720p plays to the end). The fact that both recordings play OK using LAV Splitter possibly suggests that the streams don't have major issues.

I'll let you know if I find out anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom