run 'moving pictures' dll without MP config (1 Viewer)

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
May 17, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
how can i run the 'moving pictures' dll without accessing it through mediaportal's config?

i ask because it's not practical to completely shutdown mediaportal every time in need to manually approve some new movies. that's just ridiculous.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
We have a test harness for the config that is not distributed with Moving Pictures, but you can build it yourself with a little bit of technical knowledge. You could maybe drop this is the root MP folder (and copy the movingpictures.dll file there as well). But this is not a tested configuration. I would also not recommend running the config and the GUI at the same time as this could cause unexpected behavior. If you try it though let us know how it goes.

ZealotSix

Portal Pro
August 18, 2008
Home Country
In addition to what John mentioned, it sounds like this issue may be relevant to you:
Issue 83 - moving-pictures - Support close match resolution in MediaPortal GUI - Google Code

But there are a couple of things you can do now to cut down on the number of movies that require manual approving.

1. Name your files in a way that matches the title and year of the movie in imdb (or whatever your preferred source is). for instance: "The Dark Knight (2008).avi"

-or-

2. Include a .nfo file with the same filename as your movie file, but the extension .nfo. The contents of the file should include the imdbid (such as: tt0468569)

plasibo

Portal Member
July 5, 2008
Home Country
along the same lines as the nfo i just put the imdbid at the end of the filename

example - The Dark Knight [2008] [tt0468569].mkv

its not the prettiest thing and it only works as long as imdb is a source but it always correctly identifies the movie pretty much instantly. In another thread I saw fforde say that the imdbid trumps everything. (correct me if I'm wrong of course)

going through and doing them all like that was a pain (though made easier with the moving pictures xml exporter) but after that one time ordeal it barely takes any time at all to maintain.

OPN

Portal Member
July 14, 2009
Heres a question, when i click on MPinstaller on plugins in the config its an empty white box. if i click install it opens a location to install something. so is there something i need to download and install or what ?

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
May 17, 2009
Home Country
We have a test harness for the config that is not distributed with Moving Pictures, but you can build it yourself with a little bit of technical knowledge. You could maybe drop this is the root MP folder (and copy the movingpictures.dll file there as well). But this is not a tested configuration. I would also not recommend running the config and the GUI at the same time as this could cause unexpected behavior. If you try it though let us know how it goes.

Okay... where is the file to drop in the root MP folder ?

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
Not something we distribute citizenkeys because running the config and the GUI at the same time can cause unexpected issues (because the importer, among other things, is active in both). As I explained above, if this is something you or anyone else is interested in you'd have to build the executable yourself and use at your own risk. If you need a little guidance jump on the IRC channel, but if you are not familiar with Visual Studio there is going to be a significant learning curve.

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
May 17, 2009
Home Country
since this is open-source software (which I now help develop through skinning and feedback), can't someone compile it and just label it as "experimental / unsupported"?

every time i go to that IRC room, it's totally quiet.

bodiroga

Portal Pro
January 1, 2008
Home Country
Spain Spain
since this is open-source software (which I now help develop through skinning and feedback), can't someone compile it and just label it as "experimental / unsupported"?

every time i go to that IRC room, it's totally quiet.

+1

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
No we do not distribute "SVN" releases. As for the IRC channel there may not be constant discussion but it's almost always monitored by at least a few people. We are pretty active though on most days. Speak up if you need help. Logging into IRC and waiting for someone to ask what you need will get you no where.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom