Running different versions of backend and frontend. (1 Viewer)

dino2008

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 18, 2008
    Home Country
    I have a PC running the TVserver as a dedicated TV server running windows XP, and 2 frontend PC running vista. I currently upgraded to 1.0.1 from 1.0.0 and cannot get live TV to work reliable after the upgrade. The main issue is that after the TVSERVER PC wakes, the live TV no longer works, recording works fine. I'm thinking the issue is with TVSERVER, as it works after restarting the TVSERVER, rebooting or restarting the front ends doesn't fix the problem. This worked fine under 1.0.0.

I was wondering if I could use TVSERVER 1.0.0 on the backend, and mediaportal 1.0.1 on the front end PC's. I'm using 4tr, so I don't think the new TV plugin is being used. I need 1.0.1 to fix the issue with mediaportal crashing after entering and exiting TV series and moving picture with some skins.

jhb

Portal Pro
    September 19, 2006
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    1.0.1 in the server and 1.0 in the client works, but not the other way around (there are checks introduced in the protocol preventing it from running).

I am also running separate client and server but have no issues whatsoever with the server side (but I am not putting the server to sleep at all), I however have problems in the client (that can be seen in this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ailing-multi-seat-client-ga-ma78gm-s2h-58199/). I have four clients (two vista laptops, one vista by my main TV and one XP by my secondary TV) connected to my server and I only have problems with the stationary vista box...

I think it is a bit sad that so few use MP the way it is best used (separate client and server) - most of the problems (and they are some) I have had with RC1-4, 1.0 and 1.0.1 are related to having a split deployment. Except for this MP is by far the best HTPC software for watching and recording live TV...

dino2008

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 18, 2008
    Home Country
    I'm now running TVServer 1.0.0 and mediaportal 1.0.1 and its working fine, I'm also using 4tr, so maybe that's why it works. Seems to be working better then using TVSERVER 1.0.1.Channels changes are quicker, live TV works. Not sure about sleep yet, didn't have any issue with it before.

I would have been happy using 1.0.0, but the crashing issue was a pain. That was the only issue I had.

jhb

Portal Pro
    September 19, 2006
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Might be that the version check was removed then, it prevented me from doing proper testing of the SVN-builds until the 1.0.1 release at least - or it could be 4tr that affects this...

The version check in SVN was not functional in a split client/server scenario...
    ...but on the other hand, that could explain why it was removed in that case...

jhb

Portal Pro
    September 19, 2006
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Chemelli:

I am well aware of that, but it is very useful to have different versions for several reasons:
    - I am mainly doing it for quality assurance, i.e. verifying where problems are residing. I had a lot of problems with RTSP when switching channels earlier and I have a test-unit (one laptop with Vista on it) where I reinstall frequently to test SVNs and try to pinpoint the problems (hard to do in the "production environment" at home where the entire family is using MP).
    - when having multiple clients in the network (I have four clients), it is very useful to have the possibility to upgrade them one at the time. I can accept that this fails once in a while, but as long as the protocol between the units have not changed it should be possible. Therefor the version check should be on the communication protocol version, not on the SW-version....
    - I have once been in the situation where I can not get a fully working system without mixing versions between client and server. There are too many parameters that are not under the control of the developers that may mess things up (e.g. graphic driver versions in cooporation with specific graphic adapters). If I would have requirements on putting the server too sleep (like dino2008 requires) this then requires 1.0 release on the server. However I have had big problems with channel switching in the client of 1.0, which requires me to run 1.0.1 there. If it works it should be OK to match and mix like that to get a working system, if it is not working - no bugreports should be accepted...

/ jhb

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom