Running MP as a part-time HTPC (1 Viewer)

venger

Portal Member
May 10, 2005
As the devteam as stated a few times in the forum MP is intended to be a fulltime HTPC. IMHO, this is reasonable and helps focus delivery.

However, there are some of us (myself included) who only have a single machine and cannot afford to run it as a fulltime HTPC only.

After scratching my head a bit and doing some searching, I have located external freeware tools to achieve the same effect.

An example is the 4t Tray Minimizer Freeware edition.
(at http://www.4t-niagara.com/default.html)

Basically, this tool will:
(1) hide MP in the taskbar and place it instead in system tray
(2) MP can be restored by remote or double-clicking on the MP tray icon
(3) MP can be automatically placed in system tray whenever the window loses focus

The cool thing is (1) - (3) are all configurable.

The result:
You now have a HTPC that can seamlessly slips into the system tray when you want to do normal PC stuff. And your recordings will continue to quietly happen.

PS: I do not work for 4t-niagara. I have found at least 3-4 similar tools so there are definitely alternatives.

A

Anonymous

hello Venger,

Does this "solve" the sluggish issue:
going from fullscreen to windowed, and then press the minimize icon and back?

I think this might not being too difficult to add something to MP like:
-add extra button <minimize>
-add extra feature "start minimized or not"

Greetings,

fpouels

Portal Member
April 16, 2005
Bennekom
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Thanks Venger for this tip ! As a new part-time MP user this was one of the things I was missing, now I can go from fullscreen to tray and back with one key press. So yes iafilius, this solves your issue.

venger

Portal Member
May 10, 2005
*sigh*... i knew it was too good to be true.. just rebooted my machine and found that the 4t Tray Minimizer Freeware edition does not store options !! :evil:

oh well.. nothin for nothin i suppose :wink:
In any case, I will continue searching for a freeware alternative that will do the job.

But for those who never turn off their machines, this should not be a problem :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

It is looking and working very well now and I am almost at the point of switching my HTPC to MP2, madvr would definitely push me over the edge for sure.;)
It is looking and working very well now and I am almost at the point of switching my HTPC to MP2, madvr would definitely push me...
We are proud to present MediaPortal 2.3 MediaPortal 2.3 is a full-blown media center software that addresses the most common user...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 MediaPortal2-Buddy DE
That’s what Lehmden said. Watched flags get migrated when updating to 2.2. Also a new plugin is almost finished to backup watched flags and restore later.
That’s what Lehmden said. Watched flags get migrated when updating to 2.2. Also a new plugin is almost finished to backup watched...
Hi. And here is another "Buddy"... Today's Buddy is "MediaPortal2-Buddy" (or short, MP2-Buddy), a tool to do some work around...
Replies
Views
Hi! This should be doable by using dummy buttons for mouse is specific skin files. Personally, I don't know (but I really want to know) how to do it properly but guys like @ltfearme know.
Hi! This should be doable by using dummy buttons for mouse is specific skin files. Personally, I don't know (but I really want to...
Started on: 2014-10-24 last update: 2014-10-24 Summary: Oddly for an application that is not multi-platform, MediaPortal does not...
Replies
Views
Sorry to hear that you have to go to hospital. I hope that all wil be fine. In fact you have already all the information needed. The database name and the table name are the same than in mySQL for ArgusTV. How can I provide you the Backup file ?
Sorry to hear that you have to go to hospital. I hope that all wil be fine. In fact you have already all the information needed...
Hi. I like to introduce our latest tool, called "EPG-Buddy". This program should make EPG grabbing as easy as possible. Up to now a...
Replies
Views
G
My apologies. I should have said they had an installer package for Windows 8. I did try both of the beta driver installers, but neither one of them would run under my version of Windows 10, even on the Windows 7 or 8 compatibility settings. So it looks like I'm confined to either Linux or sending the tuner back for a refund...
My apologies. I should have said they had an installer package for Windows 8. I did try both of the beta driver installers, but...
Hello! I'm contemplating getting a Ceton Infinitv 4 USB tuner to use with my desktop PC. As my system specs indicate, I'm running...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom