Running MP on 1 of 2 displays in FS (1 Viewer)

lostmimic

Portal Member
November 8, 2005
Orlando FL
Greetings I am building a hybrid HTPC/Reg PC (its more to help with the transition really) and ive found MP to be the best bet for what I am planning to do. So im trying to slowly figure out and solve the problems as they arrive. I tried searching for this on the forums but was unsuccesfully.

Here is the standard info asked for.

Area: Media Portal Program
MP Version: 0.2.0.0 RC1 (also tried it with the last stable release)
Skin: Metallic one
Windows Version: XP SP2
CPU Type: P4 3.0GHz
Memory: 1024mb
Motherboard Chipset: Asus P4C800-E Delux ATX
Video Card: Radeon 9800 PRO 256mb
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 5.8
Video Card Resolution: VGA connected monitor: 1600/1200. Svideo connected TV: 1024x768
Video Render Type: Overlay
Video & Audio Codec Type & Version: FFDShow 1107, VOB Sub 2.23
TV Card: N/A

Synopsis: I have the Monitor set as "1" and the TV as "2". Also the TV is used as the "Primary Monitor" so movies, games etc only play/show on this screen. Now when I set MP to "Start in fullscreen" it starts with a resolution of 13XXx9XX which of course is too large for the TV. Now if I start it in windowed mode and then go to fullscreen it fits fine, or it spazes out and goes to 5fps (way too slow). Can anyone shed some light on this problem so I can continue on my venture.

Thank you

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Had anothe person with the same problem on irc yesterday, and it was clearly pointed out by the devs that the PC must have the same resolution as the TV or fullscreen wont work.

lostmimic

Portal Member
    November 8, 2005
    Orlando FL
    OK thank you, though it will work (most of the time) it wont work when its loading, i guess ill get used to 1024 by 768

*waves goodbye to 1600x1200*

moullas

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2005
    Home Country
    Cyprus Cyprus
    When you start in Windowed mode, and then go to "File" -> "Change Device" it then let's you specify on which device you want to go fullscreen and at which resolution. After you do that, the second monitor in the Radeon is MP, and it leaves your desktop intact.

However, i found that there is no way to set this setting automatically, so you always have to do this step.

I was wondering, can the developers automate this procedure???
    Like make a config setting somewhere to select the MP startup device, alongside with the device settings like adapter format etc etc and stays as default..???

lostmimic

Portal Member
    November 8, 2005
    Orlando FL
    moullas said:
    I was wondering, can the developers automate this procedure???
    Like make a config setting somewhere to select the MP startup device, alongside with the device settings like adapter format etc etc and stays as default..???

Yea i was trying to hint to see if this had been done/looked at being done because that is definitely the issue. It shouldnt be hard, seeing how when it started up it seemed to of taken the average between the resolutions, maybe have an option in the setup program to set which device/res it should auto load to (If there was an error you could just close MP and reset it there)

(1600+1024/2=1312 by 1200x768/2=984) which is the resolution is automaticaly set itself to. So am i right to assume its taking an average of the resolutions of the devices on the machine running MP?

Would be nice to know what file this is housed in, dont know C# but i know plenty of other languages and might be able to sniff it out (also need to find the source)

lostmimic

Portal Member
    November 8, 2005
    Orlando FL
    Anyone know where I can get the attention of a Dev to see if there is a solution to the problem I had, or if its handled by windows (and has no solution)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom