Running MP on old graphics card (1 Viewer)

Valdemar

Portal Member
February 16, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have an older Dell GX240 SFF which I'd like to convert to an HTPC for my bedroom. MP is not very happy with the ATI RAGE 128 PRO that this box has, actually it is not happy at all as full-screen doesn't work and windowed mode looks like a bunch of vertical lines. My question is, is there any way to put MP into to a mode that is friendlier for older hardware? Like to disable some of the newer DX features or the like.

So far it does sound like I need to get a newer graphics card, here lies is another problem, the PSU in this box is rated at 180W only if my memory serves me well, but most of the newer cards require 250W+. So I need to be careful in my selection. Any suggestions for an PSU-friendly older AGP graphics adapter that MP will run on reasonably well?

If not yet obvious I'm not looking to play any HD content :) Thanks.

Valdemar

Portal Member
February 16, 2008
Home Country
Well, I'm not exactly asking to change the requirements :) I had to fiddle with the skin definition files in order to work around an ATI bug on my other rather modern HTPC which was basically disabling some of the visual effects that driver/hardware didn't handle properly. So, my, likely naive, thinking is perhaps it is possible to come up with a very plain skin (I don't care much how bad it is going to look) which can run on older hardware.

Valdemar

Portal Member
February 16, 2008
Home Country
Yup, AGP it is. I don't mind getting a new video card but its power requirements should be pretty conservative because of the lame PSU in this system. Is the GeForce FX 5200 the minimum DX9-compatible chipset MP will run on? Another option is to go with MythTV on Linux, but I want to be able to watch Netflix and dual-boot sounds like too much...

ltloopy

Portal Member
June 12, 2008
Home Country
you should try reformating the computer and use the default windows driver that worked for me with my dell dimension 4100

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom