S-Video as second "Tuner"? (1 Viewer)

Jagual

Portal Member
October 20, 2004
This may be a stupid question, but here it goes:
My TV Card has a input for standard cable and a S-Video input. I have my digital cable box connected to the S-Video input. Since these are two completely different sources, does anyone know if it's possible to record from the standard cable input and the S-Video input at the same time?

bombonator

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Basically no, I did a quick test with my Hauppauge MCE150, which is a hardware card also. I usually only use the card for the svideo input but was curious about this so i tuned a few analogue channels via the antenna/cable input.

I found that while recording from 1 of the sources it basically locks the card to that task - i couldnt get it to switch inputs to even watch the other once recording was going.

Hardware cards have a mpeg2 encoder, i'd say this can only do 1 source at a time and why these simulatenous usage scenarios don't work. Software cards might be a different story, but 2 software recordings at the same time may tax the computer too much anyway - dunno though.

BTW: FM Radio also does not function when recording from any of the inputs on the same card.

Jagual

Portal Member
    October 20, 2004
    You're right. I couldn't get it to work and was wondering if it was possible. But what you said makes sense. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom